Send us a suggestion!

In the Roost & Spur Area - Nov. 7th to 14th.

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Bosco, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Bosco

Bosco

I will be solo in the Roost from the 7th to the 14th of November. Shooting to descend High Spur, Lost Spring, Larry, Blue John, Little Bull and Chambers. If anyone is interested in joining me I can keep an eye on messages through tonight and will be out there driving a White GMC 2500 with a topper - flag me down if you're in the area and come across me. I have descended the majority of these canyons in the past and it'd be nice to have company on a few of them.
    Bill likes this.
  2. Bosco

Bosco

Free beer if you're willing to take on some extra weight. Im planning on bringing along a heavy DSLR kit into some of these canyons.... Obviously not Chambers or Little Bull.
  3. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

HS is bone dry right now and prefect for shooting photos.

I hauled the "big camera" a Sony mirrorless (I ditched the Canon cinder block a while back) down there a few weeks ago. Well worth it as always especially when that chest deep pool in the corkscrew section is gone.
    Bosco likes this.
  4. Bosco

Bosco

Hey Bill,

That's good to know - thank you for the condition beta. Im still tied down with a Nikon block - How do you like the mirrorless? Do you get the same depth of field as you did with your cinder block?

Are you familiar with any of the early exit options in High Spur?
    Bill likes this.
  5. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Im on my 4th Sony and I have zero complaints with my current primary, the A7rIII. The DOF, Sharpness, and ISO performance all feels superior IMO. I shot canon for years 5D, 7D, 5D MkII, 5D MkIII and I've rattled off a few thousand frames with the 5D MkIV. When I picked up my first A7R it was meant to be a backup for a trip and quickly become my primary as I used Canyon glass with a converter but Ive gone full Sony now.

The only down side is that the high end G Master lenses are just as heavy as the Nikon/Canon equivalents. I've been shooting a lot over the last year with the G master 16-35 f2.8 and its phenomenal. When weight matters and Im shooting wide I pack a Zeiss 18 f2.8 prime thats only .5lbs and incredibly sharp.
    ratagonia likes this.
  6. Bosco

Bosco

Good feedback. The 5D Mk. III is an amazing platform. I may have to look further into the mirrorless "revolution". I have a few buddies that shoot mirrorless while caving and the low light performance also seems superior to my D810. Thanks man!
  7. Bosco

Bosco

I will be doing High Spur tomorrow, be in lost spring and Larry area saturday and Sunday and then white roost area Monday to Tuesday if anyones coming down. Have a great weekend all!
  8. Eroni

Eroni

I think I saw your truck pass the station today!

Everything is pretty much dry as a bone out here. Be safe out there on your own!
  9. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

I may be heading out that way on the 12th solo as all my canyoneering partners are busy. Where will you be posting up camp?