Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Aug 30, 2013.
Gooey hiking, no doubt too.
Is there any where I can find out about access roads to Toroweap/Lava Falls area? called Grand Canyon back country office but they said they are on the south side and have no clue about that area.
A bunch of us from American Canyoneers were out at Toroweap last weekend on a service project. The roads were gooey but passable. The road across the "dry" lake to the Lava Falls route is in full on lake mode and it NOT passable. High clearance and 4WD is helpful. There has been a lot of monsoon activity out there and this coming weekend looks to be especially wet - FYI.
Thanks for the heads up - we pulled a permit for Cove Canyon next Thursday to Saturday.
What are your thoughts given weather forecast & expected road conditions - is it time to look at plan "B"
I would stay with Plan A. After the service project at Toroweap last weekend we went over and descended Cove. Unlike some other Grand Canyon slots, where you're stuck in a deep slot for many hours, Cove is more flood friendly. We had thunderstorms all last weekend and it flashed the night before we arrived. This weekend looks like more of the same but the threat might be over by the time your trip rolls around. Here's what we did: we started walking from the Toroweap to Cove at first light. As we were descending the Supai layer we could see big clouds building. At the top of the Redwall we stopped and waited for 1.5 hours in safety while a big cell came over before committing to the narrow Redwall section. Cove opens up in many places so if you pay attention you won't have undue risks. It's a good choice in crappy weather.
If you packraft to Lava Falls to exit (instead of the Red Slide route) you won't be able to park a shuttle at the Falls TH due to road conditions, but it's only about a 2 mile walk from the Lava TH the Tuckup TH to fetch your vehicle so a shuttle isn't necessary.
Last question - what type of wetsuit if any would you recommend for the canyon? (we will be packrafting out via Lava Falls)
Thanks again for the intel - appreciate it!!
You won't need the wetsuit in Cove but you'll absolutely need it for the pack raft. You could get away with a shorty or 3x2 full in the river right now. Cove has a few refreshing wades and nice running waterfalls. The storms this weekend will make the conditions prefect.
Well it looks like it may clear up Friday - but after looking at the Behunin video and thinking about all that rain coming down on those dirt roads, not sure if this weekend will work.
What did you decide? I was out in glen canyon that weekend and we had 3 storms in 6 days in the PM that would have been devastating if people were in the canyons. We did shorter fare, with early starts.