Send us a suggestion!

Imlay potholes difficulty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alias_Rice, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

My typical group of 4 is headed down to Zion this weekend and we are debating on entering the last minute drawing for Imlay (we would do the sneak route). But as I don't really want to become a statistic how difficult are the potholes? Obviously, conditions change but assuming difficult conditions, how do they compare to other pothole canyons we have done (Quandary, KR, Pothoez, Squeeze)? When we did these other canyons none of them were in full conditions and they all required some escaping.

I am also aware that the difficulty in Imlay is not simply the potholes.

thanks
    darhawk and Rapterman like this.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Did Imlay on Saturday and it was less than full. the first big keeper was about 2 feet from the lip. We managed everything with no bags or hooks (cheating). If you have much pothole experience you should be ok. Expect things to drop a few more inches though.
    Rapterman and Mountaineer like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

In this hot weather, the water level in Imlay drops quickly. Bring Pot Shots and hooks, and an etrier or two, and your thinking cap, and you should be OK. Did I mention as "strong team"? That helps too.

Tom
  4. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

question: it's got to be evaporation, even though the potholes are in the shade for most of the day in Imlay, right?
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hot dry air moves through the canyon, pulling off the water.

Heaps is deeper, faces more directly east-west, and drops less, so less hot dry air moves through it.

Tom
    Deagol likes this.
  6. Ram

Ram

Not necessarily. Navajo Sandstone is famously porous. We have all seen full potholes right next to low or empty ones. They drain out the bottom, at different rates depending on the make up of the bottom of the pots. I have seen potholes full the day after a storm and then 8 feet down 4 days later. Others will stay full for weeks.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

As Ram said, evaporation seems to be only part of the equation. Some potholes drain within days of filling. Others hold water for a long time, even when in the full sun.

Last week in Imlay, we encountered one pothole that was dry on the bottom and 6-8 feet deep with a difficult stump exit. Within a corner or 2 of this pothole, there were potholes that were less than 1 foot from full.
    Ram, gajslk, Deagol and 2 others like this.
  8. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Ok, thanks everyone.. makes sense. I should have thought about porosity.
    I don't have a lot of Pothole experience (limited to Dragonfly and Headless hen) but it is something I would like to do more of in the future..
    Rapterman likes this.
  9. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

These comments sum up why of all the canyon features, potholes intrigue me the most.
    Deagol likes this.
  10. Canyonero

Canyonero

Dragonfly? You mean those optional pots at the top that most people walk right by? I thought those were just for cooling off on hot days. :)
    Jman likes this.
  11. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

LOL. yes, those ones...
    :blush: