Send us a suggestion!

News Imlay Packs, 2014 version arrived!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Mountaineer, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Hi all -

Just got our Kolob packs today. Yes, plural. Love these. Woohoo! :twothumbs: I did a quick check and they look identical to the other model. My last pack went through > 100 canyons and took a beating and survived.

Comparison to the previous version? I did notice the bottom outside/side vinyl has a strong lip/seam on the top (looks even more durable) where the other version did not. And the neck around the main compartment does not have the wire going around it (which is also probably a nice improvement). Other than that, I didn't see any differences? I could have missed something, but the quality looks to be the same or better.

Super pleased.
    Tyler, Ram, Blake Merrell and 4 others like this.
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I have another new spry pack sitting at my house waiting to be used. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram likes this.
  3. Mountaineer

Retirement ceremony. Tough day. If they could talk.

Lots of history here.

[​IMG]
  4. John Diener

John Diener

Thinking about a new Spry, but am curious as to all the reasons you choose Kolob packs over Spry/Mystery? Just the extra size, or some other feature(s)? Thanks...
  5. Mountaineer

Mostly size. I recommend either the Spry or Kolob. I haven't owned the Heaps, however the Kolob has worked for overnight bivys for me. The Spry is just a little small, especially as I need to take extra gear when I'm leading a group (first aid, flare gun, rafts, extra water, etc). The Spry works for most canyons, but if you have to carry a 200' rope + wetsuit and your other gear, it doesn't work as well. My wife uses the Spry exclusively, and loves it.

For tight/X canyon stuff, I prefer a small pack at the DI for $2 that I put drain holes in and throw away at the end. Or the Leprechaun seems applicable as well.

I personally don't like the Mystery as it doesn't have the lid. The lid is useful for securing extra gear on top. Plus, it is great for accessing other common items fast like your map, sunscreen, and snacks.
    darhawk, Blake Merrell and 2065toyota like this.
  6. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I currently have all 4 packs and they all serve their purpose. If only buying one pack I wouldn't buy the Mystery. It is a little small and doesn't have a lid or as much abrasion materials. The spry is my go to pack for most canyons, but when needing longer ropes and wetsuits it is also a little small but can work. The Kolob was the first pack I purchased to make sure it would work for most all occasions. I would make your decision based on the types of canyons you plan on doing
    darhawk and Blake Merrell like this.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

:)

I think we posted at the exact same time
    Mountaineer likes this.