Send us a suggestion!

FS Imlay Canyon Gear 2016 Packs

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by ratagonia, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

After ten months of arm wrestling, we are finally going into production. Samples received, a few minor points commented on, approval given, money paid, date SET! Hitting the sewing room floor about Dec 15th; On the boat Dec 31st; Typhoon Maude... hopefully not. Should be shipping them out Jan 29th. Available at dealers (who order) a few days later.

PileOPacks.
    More info on the details to come. Just thought I'd let people know, now that (finally) a date has been set.

Tom
    Rapterman, Kuenn and Dave Melton like this.
  2. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

I see different names on the packs. More sizes now?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Shenanigans is a Kolob re-engineered to fit women.

The Shinumo is a Heaps re-engineered to fit women.

Other than that, the line has not changed, although there are minor improvements to each model. To be detailed over the next couple of weeks.

Tom
    Rapterman and Ram like this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

She-nanigans and shi-numo. I see what you did there.

Though I hope people don't get the idea that a kolob sized pack is the ticket for that particular canyon. No pack is your best choice in there. (Shenanigans)
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I had some reservations about assigning that name, for that reason... but the use of language was too good.

I will be certain to assert to Shenanigans purchasers that they should not take a Shenanigans through Shenanigans...

T
    Chris Grove and Bootboy like this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

2016 Imlay Canyon Gear Heaps Pack

I tuned up the design of the Heaps pack for the upcoming season, and wanted to show them off – so here you go! Most of my focus was on making the Heaps better for Grand Canyoneering trips, while not compromising its function for big technical canyons like… Heaps!

[​IMG]
    2016 Heaps Pack in Envious Green

A lot of the changes are invisible. The pack is easier to make and more consistent with the Kolob pack as it runs through the factory floor. I took a bit of superfluous stuff out, and as consequence the weight has been reduced from 4 lbs 10 oz down to 3 lbs 12 oz, almost a full pound! A nice thing about having a couple years' experience with the pack, and having it in the ZAC rental program – a bunch of reinforcements I originally thought were necessary have proven to not be helpful, and have been deleted.

I added reinforcement to the place that wears out first on the packs, the bottom edge of the hipbelt. After testing for a year on my personal pack, I am well satisfied that this additional strip of Cordura helps it last a LOT longer yet does not affect comfort, even in summer conditions.

[​IMG]
    Hipbelt Reinforcement

Also added to the hipbelt: belt loops to hold the long straps off to the side, away from the rappel device. I changed the wing-strap buckle to a clip-type buckle, so the strap could be used to hold things, and so the hipbelt could be changed out more easily. I re-shaped the shoulder straps so they fit women better, and added DRings to the sternum strap for hanging your rope-gobbling carabiner, which also make the sternum strap position easy to adjust.

[​IMG]
    Suspension side

To tease more usable volume out of the same chassis, I made the pleated outside pockets taller and redesigned the pocket bottom seams so they can be more three-dimensional. The vinyl piece at the bottom of the sides is an inch shorter to give the side pockets more real estate to work with, AND all three pockets extend upwards a little further. I did not officially change the claimed volume because… well, I did not want to change the embroidery until it was too late.

The lids for the three lidded packs (Heaps, Kolob, Spry) are now different sizes – 500 cu in, 450 cu in, and 400 cubic inches (the size of the old lid), respectively. While it may not seem like a lot, it sure seems to help on those mega-backpacking trips. The new lids also cover the top of the pack better, especially when overstuffed.

[​IMG]

Colors for the upcoming year are Great Pumpkin Orange and Envious Green, with the Grey packcloth in places and the Silver webbing and buckles, most places. The lid straps and buckles are black, so they will be easier to keep separate.

The shipment is due into our shop on January 29, 2016. Now taking pre-orders at CanyoneeringUSA.com.

There will be a women’s version of the Heaps pack called the Shinumo – but that is a different post for another night.

Bigger Pictures at the CUSA Gear Guide
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Dave Melton likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

2016 Imlay Shinumo Pack

New for 2016 - the Shinumo pack is our version of the Heaps pack re-engineered for women, especially smaller women. Shrink It and Pink It! - uh, no thanks.

All the adjustments to the Heaps pack for 2016 apply to the Shinumo too. Quick summary: lighter, bigger pockets, bigger lid, belt loops on the hipbelt, reinforced bottom edge of hipbelt, gobbling rings on the shoulder straps.

So let's talk about making it fit women.

The Heaps is a tall pack, so the first step was to reduce the height of the pack by 2". To make up for the lost volume, I made the pack wider and deeper... in fact, I went ahead and added a bit more volume. The new shape is slightly higher in volume than the Heaps, and also easier to pack, as the current and 2016 Heaps packs have a narrow waist that makes packing somewhat difficult. (My intention is to make these adjustments to the Heaps for the next production run, for Fall 2016).

[​IMG]

The suspension has been re-engineered to fit the narrower, shorter and curvier bodies of women. The pack is 2" (50mm) shorter, and the shoulder straps are 2" closer to the hipbelt. The hipbelt is shorter, but also recut for curvier hips, so a tighter curve. The new hipbelt will fit more women, but the hipbelts are also easily interchangeable. Some women will prefer the men's hipbelt, some will want something other than the two sizes offered. My plan for 2016 is to make other sizes of hipbelts "on demand", which will allow me to collect information on what hipbelts are needed.

[​IMG]

The shoulder straps for all Imlay packs have been re-shaped for 2016, to fit women better. The goal was to change the regular packs from "Men's" to "Unisex". Mostly this means they are narrower than our previous straps, with the bottom part curved to track away from the breasts. On the women's packs, the shoulder straps are shorter and placed a bit closer together than on the standard "unisex" packs.

[​IMG]

"Pink It" - while I did make a few pink packs in the proto process, not many of the burly canyon women I hang with thought making the pack overtly "femmy" was a good idea. Thank you. Besides, my purchasing power does not allow a separate color of fabric for the small run of women's packs. But I did want to differentiate them, so I blocked them out using the two colors of Cordura already in the palette. The two colorways of the Shinumo will be: Envious Green with Great Pumpkin Orange trim; and GP Orange with E Green trim. (The color blocking is not exactly as shown.)

Fitting notes:

1. While the new Shenanigans (fem Kolob) is the same height as the Shinumo, the shoulder straps on the Shenanigans are placed 1-1/2" lower. Thus the Shenanigans will fit smaller women than the Shinumo will fit.
    2. I do not give "fit dimensions" for my packs because I don't think giving a height, or even a "back height" correlates all that well with who will end up fitting the packs well - there are just too many other variables that have significant impact on how packs fit.
    3. The Shenanigans is the same size as the Kolob. Perhaps it does not need saying, but, the Shenanigans PACK is not a good choice to take through the Shenanigans CANYON.
    Now Available for Pre-Order at CanyoneeringUSA. First shipment due to arrive in Mt Carmel January 29th.

BIGGER PICTURES AVAILABLE AT CUSA Gear Guide
    Wes1 likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

2016 Imlay Kolob Pack

I consider the Kolob the "workhorse" of the pack line, so I focus less on weight and more on durability. Many of the changes applied to the Heaps apply to the Kolob... pretty much all of 'em, actually. In re-working the Kolob for women (the new Shenanigans), I reconsidered decisions I had made previously and made a few changes to both the Kolob and Shenanigans:

• bigger pleated back pocket: I extended the back pocket to be as tall as possible.
    • reworked bottom of the pleated back pocket: I redesigned this for better drainage and to allow it to puff out a bit more = more usable space.
    • bigger lid: not as big as the Heaps, but bigger than the Spry (which retained the old lid size)
    A lot of the changes made are internal. The pack is easier to make and more consistent with the Heaps pack as it runs through the factory floor. I took a bit of superfluous stuff out, and as consequence the weight has been reduced from 4 lbs 5 oz down to 3 lbs 9.5 oz, a full 11.5 ounces! A nice thing about having a couple years’ experience with the pack, and having it in the ZAC rental program – a bunch of reinforcements I originally thought were necessary have proven to not be helpful, and have been deleted.

[​IMG]
    Kolob Front View
    I added reinforcement to the place that wears out first on the Kolob, the bottom edge of the hipbelt. After testing for a year on my personal pack, I am well satisfied that this additional strip of Cordura helps it last a LOT longer yet does not affect comfort, even in summer conditions.

A bigger change unique to the Kolob: I changed the back panel (the one that sits against your body) to packcloth. Friends had pointed out that when the pack is wet, the Cordura holds water and can be uncomfortable against the back. With lots of time in the field, it is pretty clear that the back panel sees the least wear of any part of the pack, so using the somewhat lighter fabric for the back panel will be a win. The Heaps has been like this from the beginning, and I have not seen a Heaps where this has been a problem, even though I have used a couple Heaps packs until they were in tatters.

[​IMG]
    2016 Kolob Side View
    I revised the side-armor somewhat, moving the seam up between the two pieces, making the "pocket" deeper. I'm not a big fan of using the "pocket" for holding water bottles, especially when rappelling and swimming (ie, when things fall out), but I know a lot of people use them for this. The new seam line makes it easy to run the lower strap through a loop on your bottle, to help keep it from falling out.

Suspension changes: added to the hipbelt - belt loops to hold the long straps off to the side, away from the rappel device. I changed the wing-strap buckle to a clip-type buckle, so the strap could be used to hold things, and so the hipbelt could be changed out more easily. I re-shaped the shoulder straps so they fit women better, and added DRings to the sternum strap for hanging your rope-gobbling carabiner, which also makes the sternum strap position easy to adjust.

[​IMG]
    2016 Kolob Suspension

[​IMG]

Colors for the upcoming year are Great Pumpkin Orange and Envious Green, with the Grey packcloth in places and the Silver webbing and buckles, most places. The lid straps and buckles are black, so they will be easier to keep separate.

The shipment is due into our shop on January 29, 2016. Now taking pre-orders at CanyoneeringUSA.com.

There will be a women’s version of the Kolob pack called the Shenanigans – but that is a different post for another night.

Bigger Pictures available at CUSA Gear Guide
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

New for 2016, a version of our workhorse pack, the Kolob, sized for women.

All the changes to the Kolob apply, of course. And then the changes as stated for the Shinumo apply, of course.

[​IMG]

The Shenny uses the exact same pack body as the Kolob, with adjustments made to the suspension side to fit women. The shoulder straps are shorter and curvier, the hipbelt is shorter and curvier. The shoulder straps are placed 1-1/2″ (40mm) lower than on the Kolob, thus closer to the hipbelt, for a shorter back. Note that this is also shorter than the Shinumo, who’s back-height is the same as the Kolob. (No picture of this because they did not make the sample right).

Color blocked out just like the Shinumo, but the sides are black.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, not much of a post here, because it is all covered in the previous posts. Now available for pre-order at the CUSA Store for shipping Jan 29, 2016.

Link to this same post on the Gear Guide.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

After a long hiatus, the Pic Pockets are back in stock.

PicPocketGrid9x900.

at your local dealer (if you ask) or from Canyoneering USA.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

New rope colors for 2016. First shipment just came in today.

Canyon Fire: Yellow with Red; Orange / Purple.

2016CanyonFire Colors.

Canyonero: Blue with Yellow; Green with Purple.

2016CanyoneroColors.

2015 colors available until we run out (probably about 2 months).

Tom
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Rapterman, spinesnaper and Bootboy like this.
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

The big pack shipment came in, and we spent yesterday sorting things out down at Bakston Freight in St George. Starting shipping today.

Tom

bigshipment3. bigshipment2. bigshipment1.
  13. Rapterman

Rapterman

Congratulations, Tom!
    :)
    ratagonia likes this.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks. It has been a bit of a journey!

T
    Rapterman likes this.
  15. Rapterman

Rapterman