Send us a suggestion!

Illusions and insomnia logistics

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by summitseeker, Jan 8, 2014.

1. summitseeker

summitseeker

I am looking to get some info about these canyons from some who have done them. Please PM me or post and we can chat. Thanks.
  2. Ram

Ram

Not sure what your looking for. The canyons are listed here in the beta base for all to peruse. They are beautiful, cold and demanding. One has a super hard pothole, often with dead animals in it. The other a super long rap. Severe injury has occurred in there. Bees have stung our group each time. Long day, long car shuttle. An investment of time and effort.
  3. summitseeker

summitseeker

After the last rappels in each canyon, can you access the rim or are you forced to continue back the the paved road. I cant figure out how to attach an image but I scouted it out on google maps and it looks like you could exit Insomnia at this point :
    35° 0.071', -111° 46.773'
    and gain the rim.

Also an exit for Illusions looks possible at this point:
    34° 59.647', -111° 46.133'
    to then gain the rim.

Obviously it would be a steep bushwhack but...
    Do you have any thoughts on these options?

The goal being cutting out a long car shuttle and reducing mileage.

Anyone with an opinion please chime in...
  4. Ram

Ram

It was tried and was a nightmare. Soil erosion, steepness and its UGH-LEE. Here is something not often mentioned. The lower part in West Fork Oak is gorgeous. Hugely more aesthetic day out the bottom, even with the car shuttle
  5. summitseeker

summitseeker

So not recommended. Thanks for the input. I'm in canyon withdrawal.
  6. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

I live nearby but have not done either as they are beyond my skill/experience set.
    Access will be an issue for a few months as the forest service roads are gated due to snow. You can do the hike in from Oak Creek Canyon as an alternative. Roads usually open by mid April.
  7. MrAdam

MrAdam

A car shuttle is not required to do either canyon. Here is what you do......

Park outside the Bootlegger day use area on the side of the road(make sure to not park inside the area as the close the gates after dark), cross over Oak Creek and located the AB Young TH. Hike up the AB Young trail to the top of Pocket Point and the top of the canyons. Complete the canyons and hike out of the West fork of Oak Creek to the Call of the Canyons TH/parking area. Road walk approx 1.5 miles back to the vehicle parked outside the Bootlegger area.

I have done this route multiple times for both Illusions and Insomnia with an average time of around 10 hours depending on group size and such. Obviously this adds a bit of mileage and about 1500' of elevation to the day, but it saves running the 2.5 hour round trip car shuttle at the end of the day.
    John Diener likes this.
  8. Brett Zenor

Brett Zenor

This is what I did back in October for Illusions. We dropped off longboards at the West Fork entrance/exit and drove back down, parked, and hiked up the AB Young Trail. When we exited West Fork that night we skateboarded downhill back to the car with ease.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  9. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Heads up.

There was an article in yesterday's Flagstaff paper indicating that the switchbacks on US 89a will be closed from Memorial Day to July 4. This is just north of the West Fork of Oak Creek, where Illusions and other well known canyons are located. If you are doing a shuttle, this will make a long shuttle even longer.

As MrAdam noted, the best route during this time period (and maybe always) would be to hike up the AB Young trail, do the canyon, and hike out the West Fork to 89a.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/ad...cle_c1c3167c-a33c-11e3-8fe0-0019bb2963f4.html