Send us a suggestion!

I believe I found some un-discovered petroglyphs in ...

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Krakcanyon@aol.com, Nov 19, 2003.

1. In a message dated 11/19/2003 6:55:32 PM Mountain Standard Time, Sparhawk_11@hotmail.com writes:

> There are numerous pictographs and petroglyphs among the rocks. You > can even touch the 'glyphs.

Brett,

If you designed the above post to draw lurkers on this list out into the open you have succeeded in my case. :) If, as you state, you have seen numerous petroglyphs you must surely be aware of the most basic rule of "rock art" etiquette, namely that you NEVER touch, in any way, any rock writings, whether painted or pecked.

Please be careful of your actions and examples when you are lucky enough to "find" new art. Yes, it is very exciting to come across signs from the old ones; writings that are not listed in any hiking guide or tourist map. It is a wonderful experience! Please communicate the importance of respecting these sites to those with whom you share the location of your discovery.

I don't mean to jump in and be all preachy, but this is just too important to let go --

Thanks, Peggy