Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question How we are using 6mm Pull-Ropes?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Doug Smith, May 6, 2017.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Doug Smith Original Poster wrote: "We use the EDK with a back up to tie our ropes together unless it look to be a really tight rope pull then no back up."

@Doug Smith - Please use a backup knot with your EDK at all times.

Tom
    Shmulik likes this.
  2. Shmulik

Shmulik

That was my point!
  3. Doug Smith

Doug Smith

In the last two years My group of friend has completed about 50 canyons. Just got back from a week in North Wash, and spent a week in the Reef mid October. I never said I remove backup knot on EDK on Big Rappels. Above about 150 it's All single line anyway and I'm not dumb. I have removed the second knot twice on nasty down climb rappels where getting the knot stuck in rope grooves was a problem. Lately I have been keeping the backup and just moving the knot down on tight multi pitch rappels. When possible it works better, make pulling the rope easier and I really Don't like removing the backup either. I even got to use my hooks a few times to get the last person down safely & easily on short drops. Great time had by All.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

My experience has been it makes us safer and have less issue pulling ropes with knots at the the top. We can set the knot over and edge at the top in necessary.

From the first post.
    I'm trying to follow what you said right here? Are you saying at times you move the knot which is tied to the 6mm over the edge and then you Rappel on the 6mm and the 9.2? If so if I'm following correctly if the 6mm gets comprmised it's basically what's holding you and you would go for an e-ticket ride until the knot went up to the rapide and then you still could go for an e ticket ride if the anchor blows?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  5. Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Yes if the 6mm gets cut thing would get interesting. Do the same thing using two 9.2 more often, but most of the time it's only a few feet of rope. And Yes i understand this
    Taylor likes this.