Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Hooks other than Talons - useful?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Do you use any hook other than Talons for canyoneering?

I am seeing lots of orders for the BD Grappling Hook, which I think is people heading in to Imlay. I have never found it useful there, since the Talon works so well in the drilled holes and the Grappling Hook not at all - and the only hooking is into drilled holes.

Just curious if people find ANY hooks OTHER THAN the Talon useful, for Imlay and EVER????

Thanks

Tom​
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

BD Grappling hook is my favorite hook for hooking features.

For drilled holes, I have custom ground BD Cliffhangers. They're solid.

Never really cared for the Talon. Throw too short. Too flat. Features in sandstone that they'd actually work on are too friable. I rarely if ever carry one.

Also liked the Leeper pointed bat hooks and the Pika split tip bat hook.

Pika Aardvark is great for those rappels with a single rope, full length, off an anchor where you retrieve the rope by crackin' the whip (scary...not something I'd recommend for anyone...).

The Pika Spoonbill and Ibis are great too, for large features. Rumor has Josh making some fresh ones...get 'em while they last:

http://blumental.us/store/?page/5240/load/product_category/category/3086/imageID/0/pikamtn-com
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

How about in canyons, ever use any of these?

Tom
  4. Itaru Hiromi

Itaru Hiromi

Did Imlay about a month ago with a BD Talon and a BD grappling hook, and got a lot of good use out of both.

Most of the holes were "blown out", but the grooves still provided very solid placements. The profile of the hole and the curvature of the rock seemed to be the two main factors that determined how well either of them gripped.

The talon seems to really excel at fresh drilled holes on a flat surface, the low profile and wide base helps a lot.
    The Grappling hook seemed to work a little better where the curvature of the surface is higher due to it's larger arch, and worked well with some of the holes that have degenerated to a "feature".

- Itaru
    ratagonia likes this.
  5. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

All of them except the spoonbill.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

I use the BD grappling hook in most canyons. Always carry it with me, and have used it on occasion. I have put a small cylinder/plastic piece taped on the back side for a pole. When used along with my avalanche probe, it makes for a nice "happy hooker".

I also have an Ibis hook. Really big, and a bit of a pain to carry. It took some research to find one. Kelsey recommended this in his book, and it is quite unique. The Ibis has given me piece of mind when used due to its strength and size. It seems to hook solid! Or gives the mental illusion of doing so (which can be helpful when you start that rap) Very nice. In practice, however, I have rarely taken it. Seems to hang on my wall most of the time...

Never have taken or used the BD talons, except for Imlay. There, they worked perfect.
  7. gajslk

gajslk

Outside of Imlay, the only hook I've ever used is the Ibis. A few pothole escapes and a few rap and flicks.

Gordon
    Mountaineer likes this.