Send us a suggestion!

hole in the rock road

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by J David Overton, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Can anyone share the road conditions for Hole in the Rock Road in the Escalante? Also, how is the weather in that area? I know this is the hottest time of the year, but it is the time I have.

David
  2. I was there last week and the road is quite good for a dirt road. No problems with a Subaru Outback. We even drove part of the last section of it which the BLM advises high clearance. The road ended for us a few miles from Hole in the Rock (maybe around mile 54), where it climbs sharply up slickrock to a vertical solid rock rise over 1 foot. There are rocks piled there to aid, but the oil pan leaks and distance from Escalante were enough for us to park our car.

Weather was fine. I love the summer.

Steve Tucson, AZ
  3. This coming thursday my companion and I want to hike 40 mile creek and broken bow arch. It's further down hole-in-the-rock road than we have ever gone. we know it gets rougher the further down you go, do you need a 4 wheel drive?

Thanks

Louis

4. TomJones

TomJones Guest

I loaded up the latest Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument road report for you...

General reports this year are that the road is pretty OK down to the Egypt road turnoff, which is the county line. South of that, the road is in Kane County which has declined to actively maintain the road, thus the road is considerably rougher from there down.

A larger, more-capable vehicle (usually 4WD and high clearance) can make considerably better time on the washboard conditions often found on the HITR road, especially if driven like a maniac by Rick Green. With a 2WD highway car, the question is not whether you can make it (except note the "challenging washouts" which may mean exactly that), but how long will it take? and how much damage will it inflict on your highway car?

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Louis Johnson <CLouisJohnson@...> wrote:
    This coming thursday my companion and I want to hike 40 mile creek and broken bow arch. It's further down hole-in-the-rock road than we have ever gone. we know it gets rougher the further down you go, do you need a 4 wheel drive?
    Thanks
    Louis

>
  5. TomJones wrote:

> I loaded up the latest Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument road report for you...
    General reports this year are that the road is pretty OK down to the Egypt road turnoff, which is the county line. South of that, the road is in Kane County which has declined to actively maintain the road, thus the road is considerably rougher from there down.
    A larger, more-capable vehicle (usually 4WD and high clearance) can make considerably better time on the washboard conditions often found on the HITR road, especially if driven like a maniac by Rick Green. With a 2WD highway car, the question is not whether you can make it (except note the "challenging washouts" which may mean exactly that), but how long will it take? and how much damage will it inflict on your highway car?

If I may ask, how is the road compared to the last fall?

I have a low clearance Camry and it was more or less ok last year all the way up to Llewellyn Gulch parking. The worst spot was "the bathtub full of white sand" early on.

I am planning to head out within the next two weeks again. Trying to make sure I can get to Coyote Gulch.

Thanks!

--

Anton Solovyev