Send us a suggestion!

Hog 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qedcook, Mar 28, 2018.

1. qedcook

qedcook

So,

I've read varying reports on how tough Razorback (aka Hog 3) really is. Anyone want to try to give it a rating compared to:

Alcatraz
    Hog 1
    Middle Lep (going high at the narrowest parts)
    Horse Play
    Upper Stair Canyon (exiting early)
    Shenanigans (excluding the final narrows)
    etc.

Thanks in advance.
  2. MrAdam

MrAdam

Alcatraz was tougher than Hog 3 IMO. There are 2-3 drops in Hog 3 that can be downclimbed, but are a bit heady/scary, but I believe there are anchors at each of those drops.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Same as the above. I don't remember Hog 3 as being any tighter than 1 and 2, but I do remember that there was a scary downclimb which made it harder than the other two. There was no anchor at the downclimb when we did it, but that was years ago.
  4. Ram

Ram

Hog 3 is a short canyon, but has it has a few spicy spots. A few climbs into corners, on steep slab. More of a challenge is what I call it's "blind corners." You make a slight upward step over into a wedge, with no view what is a few feet beyond. This deposits you looking 20+ feet down. A bit of a surprise. Still the elevator is tight enough to feel secure, but it is not just a "slide down" elevator, due to the many sharp nubbins on the walls, thus, the name Razorback. Many people have found it a very reasonable descent, but I am cautious on who I recommend it to.
    R
  5. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

I don't remember anything crazy, this was the must fun section I enjoyed. (I know we rapped 1, don't remember much beyond that...although I'll try and down climb most things) RIMG3577.JPG

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  6. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

There was a downclimb right after the stemming section pictured in scott byington's post that gave us quite a bit of trouble a year ago. It involved hanging off a ledge and catching the opposite wall. There was a water filled pothole about 7ft back from the edge that may have contained anchor material. I remember the tricky spots as being "thought provoking" but not unreasonably dangerous.
  7. qedcook

qedcook

Thanks all. I'm going to give it a go the next chance I get. Let me know if any of y'all are doing it any time soon.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

You make it sound like a "Cliffhanger" event. If it is the spot I am thinking, it is more like "standing on the edge and leaning over to the far wall, a dynamic and committing move".

The main point, I think, is that the moves in Razorback are not particularly hard (but certainly not easy), but they are high up and have serious consequences. The scariest one has an anchor rigged or at least stuff to build an anchor with.

Tom
  9. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

If that wall was close enough to stand and catch, no one in our group had the guts to do it and a hang catch allowed for partner assistance and lower consequences. I think it would be fair to say that hog 3 had more unavoidable risks than many other R rated canyons I have done.
    ratagonia likes this.
  10. John Diener

John Diener

A Hog 3 pic of the spot in question (courtesy @Mike). Tom, having escaped from prison (or an asylum?) has already done the move, and I am in the lean-across behind him.
    -john
    15776787_10210071036603925_8987937318728893556_o.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

and for us non-six-footers, it is not the lean across so much as the NEXT move, vaulting into the slot downcanyon of the launch pad.

Fun stuff!

Tom
  12. qedcook

qedcook

Looks fairly similar to many tougher North Wash canyons, like Upper Stair or Horse Play or the West Butler canyons, etc.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Upper Stair, yes.

Horse Play - haven't done it yet.

The Three West Forks of Butler - nope. Nothing even close, unless you go high in Shenanigans.

T
  14. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Is Hog 3 really comparable to Upper Stair? I went through Stair once years ago (beta-less), but we bypassed the hardest part since we didn't know how long Stair would take and what was below. I mostly put it on the back-burner since I have heard that upper Stair is "really hard". Is it really not much tougher than Hog 3? (Obviously thing like weight and body shape will matter, but I am just curious).
  15. ratagonia

ratagonia

I realize these things sounds like opposites, but... as I remember Upper Stair is short (15 minutes?) but sporty for most of that time. Hog3 is longer overall (30 mins?, without the final rap) but less continuous. It has that one really sporty section, and then more less-sporty stuff.

So, comparable, but not the same.

T
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  16. Ram

Ram

Upper Stair has two distinctly different sections. The first starts high on poor quality rock, but then one goes into "Middle Earth" and eventually, using judgment and a realistic body awareness, out the bottom, perhaps a tad bit off the deck or on the ground. The 2nd part is a straight up high stem, with the canyon restricted enough below, making it R, not X. It has one scooped out section, on the left, LDC, that can be considered a "gaper." The 2 sections have a 10 minute walking gap, between them.

Hog 3 is a fast dropper and is not sustained. It has the aforementioned blind corners and one "step left slab, into a corner." Hog 3 loses altitude quickly and the moves into its few challenging spots can feel like a "leap of faith," but ultimately are not hard and can be belayed. It is not as sustained as Stair, which is harder to protect.

Stair is considered one of the best "test pieces," along with Raven/Foxhole, for those that want to "dip their toes, in the water" and find out if they want to get further into high stemming.
    R
    Scott Patterson and ratagonia like this.
  17. qedcook

qedcook

We did the canyon this weekend. I liked it a lot. It was super cool. Each of the Hog canyons have some awesome, fun aspects to them. A great set of canyons.

Hog 3 and Hog 4 are both free from almost all water. It is easy to avoid any small puddles that were there.

I don't think Hog 3 was quite as difficult as it was hyped. It was still a total blast though. I'd rate the canyons I listed (in order of difficulty):

Upper Stair Canyon (exiting early)
    Middle Lep (going high at the narrowest parts)

(Tied)
    Alcatraz
    Hog 1
    Hog 3
    (Tied)

Shenanigans (excluding the final narrows)
    Horse Play

The tied ones each have an aspect that makes them tough in their own way, but about the same in difficulty.
    hank moon likes this.
  18. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Interesting. You really thought that Hog 1 was harder than Hog 3? Because of the downclimb, I remember Hog 3 as being harder than Hog 1, but only because of that down climb.
  19. qedcook

qedcook

I think that each are about the same, but each is tough for different reasons. Hog 1 has a longer, tougher section of high stemming that is a bit tricky, right before the rappel. Hog 3 has that one downclimb pictured. But the canyons in the North Wash area have fairly similar downclimbs (in terms of skills and technique, not in terms of height off the ground), so if you've built up the skills, the difficulty of the downclimb is about the same as the difficulty of the stemming in Hog 1.
  20. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes, but... I agree with your assessment, but the SLOT-ratings are about both scariness and difficulty. Hog 1 ... well, actually I don't think the stemming is all that hard, AND it is not all that exposed, ie, not all that scary. Yes, the stepout in Hog 3 is intimidating and high, but not all that difficult, except maybe for the first move. Once you are out there is is cake.

Thusly

I think Hog 3 is a big step up from Hog 1. I do and have taken beginners (advanced beginners) in Hog 1. I would not take them in Hog 3.

And I think Middle Leprechaun (at <200 lbs) is considerably easier / less scary than Hog 1.

Tom

YMMV
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018