Send us a suggestion!

History of Canyoneering on the Colorado Plateau

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by MarkS, May 31, 2010.

1. MarkS

MarkS Guest

I've been reading alot of the tales on the canyon tales site. There are some great stories on that site.

So it got me thinking can someone give a short history on who are the pioneers of canyoneering on the plateau? I would also be interested in who pioneered the North Wash, Escalante, Zion etc?

Who are Dennis Turville, Mike Bogart, Jenny Hall etc? I have seen posts where Jenny Hall is involved but who are the others?

Thanks Mark
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

The link to the site and another to some of the history http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/ http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/tale/?i=turville

I think more stories are coming soon. While all the canyons were likely visited by Native American's, miners, pioneers etc., it is likely that sections of technical canyons did not see visitation. Much of Zion descents were documented by the Turville group. Royce Trapier too....or at least his bolts;-). Sandthrax saw a recorded descent in the early 80's was it, by SA? Called the canyon Doggone It, for his rim walking dog, I believe? Jenny Hall just revisited at least 3 canyons that she descended back in 1981-2. I will post a video of her showing a new anchor idea of her devising. I think Scott Patterson's dad was early into Fat Man's Misery. Much much more

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "MarkS" <markimsmith@...> wrote:
    I've been reading alot of the tales on the canyon tales site. There are some great stories on that site.
    So it got me thinking can someone give a short history on who are the pioneers of canyoneering on the plateau? I would also be interested in who pioneered the North Wash, Escalante, Zion etc?
    Who are Dennis Turville, Mike Bogart, Jenny Hall etc? I have seen posts where Jenny Hall is involved but who are the others?
    Thanks > Mark >
  3. MarkS

MarkS Guest

Was the Turville group out of Salt Lake?

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    The link to the site and another to some of the history > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/tale/?i=turville
    > I think more stories are coming soon. While all the canyons were likely visited by Native American's, miners, pioneers etc., it is likely that sections of technical canyons did not see visitation. Much of Zion descents were documented by the Turville group. Royce Trapier too....or at least his bolts;-). Sandthrax saw a recorded descent in the early 80's was it, by SA? Called the canyon Doggone It, for his rim walking dog, I believe? Jenny Hall just revisited at least 3 canyons that she descended back in 1981-2. I will post a video of her showing a new anchor idea of her devising. I think Scott Patterson's dad was early into Fat Man's Misery. Much much more
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "MarkS" <markimsmith@> wrote:

Thanks
    Mark
    >
  4. Just a lurker, don't even own a real rope, harness or helmet, but on this thread something clicked in my head. Back in the mid seventies I knew a guy by the name of Jim Shurner(?Sherner) he ran a dialysis service in Logan. He went on and on about doing a bunch of intense canyons in Zion, he had been descending them for years, many involving numerous 100' + rappels on either end of the canyon. Had to be early on in the history of some of the canyons. Have not seen or heard from Jim in over 30 years Pete

Sent by a mechanism similar to little cats feet

On May 31, 2010, at 3:04 PM, "RAM" adkramoo@aol.com> wrote:

The link to the site and another to some of the history http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/ http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/tale/?i=turville

I think more stories are coming soon. While all the canyons were likely visited by Native American's, miners, pioneers etc., it is likely that sections of technical canyons did not see visitation. Much of Zion descents were documented by the Turville group. Royce Trapier too....or at least his bolts;-). Sandthrax saw a recorded descent in the early 80's was it, by SA? Called the canyon Doggone It, for his rim walking dog, I believe? Jenny Hall just revisited at least 3 canyons that she descended back in 1981-2. I will post a video of her showing a new anchor idea of her devising. I think Scott Patterson's dad was early into Fat Man's Misery. Much much more

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "MarkS" <markimsmith@...> wrote:
    Thanks > Mark >
  5. chraud

chraud Guest

There was also a group of Canadian mountaineers that seemed to be pretty busy during the late 70's and early 80's-mostly in the Dinetah canyons off of Powell. One story published in the Canadian answer to National Geographic described an almost paradisical canyon that supposedly was of particular note prior to the reservoir. Maybe West, but a couple of others have had elements that sound familiar as well. Depends on how much literary license was used. At any rate, there was also the implication that they were one of several groups creeping around the Plateau at that time (SA's group, maybe Rick Fisher, etc.). Close questioning of one of them brought only a knowing smile...;-)

-Chris H.

The link to the site and another to some of the history > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/
    > I think more stories are coming soon. While all the canyons were likely visited by Native American's, miners, pioneers etc., it is likely that sections of technical canyons did not see visitation. Much of Zion descents were documented by the Turville group. Royce Trapier too....or at least his bolts;-). Sandthrax saw a recorded descent in the early 80's was it, by SA? Called the canyon Doggone It, for his rim walking dog, I believe? Jenny Hall just revisited at least 3 canyons that she descended back in 1981-2. I will post a video of her showing a new anchor idea of her devising. I think Scott Patterson's dad was early into Fat Man's Misery. Much much more

Thanks
    Mark
    >
  6. Jenny

Jenny Guest

Pete, your memory serves you well to remember Jim Sherner as an early canyoneer. My scant journals record descending Behunin, Goose Creek and Spooky Gulch with Jim and a few of his pals in the early 80's. As far I as know, none were first descent claims however. Last time I spoke with him he was still in Logan with his family. --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Pete Chatelain <echopete@...> wrote:
    Just a lurker, don't even own a real rope, harness or helmet, but on this thread something clicked in my head. Back in the mid seventies I knew a guy by the name of Jim Shurner(?Sherner) he ran a dialysis service in Logan. He went on and on about doing a bunch of intense canyons in Zion, he had been descending them for years, many involving numerous 100' + rappels on either end of the canyon. Had to be early on in the history of some of the canyons. Have not seen or heard from Jim in over 30 years > Pete
    > On May 31, 2010, at 3:04 PM, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

Thanks
    Mark

>
  7. Cool, Jim and Claire rented a house from my folks in logan then later in Richmond. It is heartwarming to hear more of him. Thanks for the response Pete

On May 31, 2010, at 8:26 PM, "Jenny" djcwest@telus.net> wrote:

Pete, your memory serves you well to remember Jim Sherner as an early canyoneer. My scant journals record descending Behunin, Goose Creek and Spooky Gulch with Jim and a few of his pals in the early 80's. As far I as know, none were first descent claims however. Last time I spoke with him he was still in Logan with his family. --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Pete Chatelain <echopete@...> wrote:
    Just a lurker, don't even own a real rope, harness or helmet, but on this thread something clicked in my head. Back in the mid seventies I knew a guy by the name of Jim Shurner(?Sherner) he ran a dialysis service in Logan. He went on and on about doing a bunch of intense canyons in Zion, he had been descending them for years, many involving numerous 100' + rappels on either end of the canyon. Had to be early on in the history of some of the canyons. Have not seen or heard from Jim in over 30 years > Pete
    > On May 31, 2010, at 3:04 PM, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

Thanks
    Mark

>
  8. Walt Haas

Walt Haas Guest

> Who are Dennis Turville,...

Dennis is a climber and outdoor photographer in the Salt Lake area:

http://turville-photo.com/

-- Walt
  9. RAM

RAM Guest

Thanks Walt...it says click the pig to enter....what pig? Can't figure out how to get in? R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Walt Haas <haas@...> wrote:
    > -- Walt >
  10. RAM

RAM Guest

OK so there is a tiny pig in the picture and I need glasses. Sorry about that. I would love to read some of his writings. Anyone know where to find some?

Thanks Walt...it says click the pig to enter....what pig? Can't figure out how to get in? > R
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Walt Haas <haas@> wrote:

> -- Walt
    >
  11. Nick Wilkes

Nick Wilkes Guest

While skiing Wildcat Canyon trail (Zion) two winters ago, Sarah Stratton (ZAC guide) and I ran into a couple doing the same. As we got to talking, we learned the gentleman had been a ranger in Zion in the mid-60s to early 70s. When we told him we were canyon guides, he briefly mentioned exploring many canyons with a ranger friend during his tenure in Zion. My curiosity piqued, I pressed him about the canyons... which ones? where? what were they like? He went on to explain he and a partner had descended most of the big names, including Heaps, Imlay, and Kolob. He talked about their first descent of Heaps, how they were embarrassed to place 3-4 pitons; they returned for a second descent, cleaning the hardware and leaving the canyon with only slings off trees. He mentioned the canyon was FILLED with tree matter at that time, which apparently was a bloody mess to get through, but made for good anchors. Though he told these short stories with little ego, his eyes did light up with the memories of adventure, along with little details and funny notes. It was joyous to see such a recounting of old exploits.

I had lots of questions for the man, but as his wife seemed marginally interested in the conversation, I throttled my curiosity so they could resume their ski. I did get his name: Steve Lameraux. I was thrilled to hear about such canyon descents, outdating any stories I had heard, especially from a guy who seemed so humble about the endeavors. Apparently, Steve left Zion in the 70's for California, where he and his wife have been living since. They do have a cabin up on the KT road, however, and now visit more often in their retirement.

Thought I'd share this story for historical interest, since the "earliest descents" and other related history questions come up from time to time. It's fun to know folks were out exploring serious canyons before "canyoneering" was a word, wondering if anybody else out there also did this then-esoteric sport.

Nick Wilkes
  12. RAM

RAM Guest

Here is an article about how some land use choices of the past, impacts canyoneering to this day. What adventure in deep and difficult to access wilderness was lost!

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15190897

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Nick Wilkes <nawilkes@...> wrote:
    While skiing Wildcat Canyon trail (Zion) two winters ago, Sarah > Stratton (ZAC guide) and I ran into a couple doing the same. As we got > to talking, we learned the gentleman had been a ranger in Zion in the > mid-60s to early 70s. When we told him we were canyon guides, he > briefly mentioned exploring many canyons with a ranger friend during > his tenure in Zion. My curiosity piqued, I pressed him about the > canyons... which ones? where? what were they like? He went on to > explain he and a partner had descended most of the big names, > including Heaps, Imlay, and Kolob. He talked about their first descent > of Heaps, how they were embarrassed to place 3-4 pitons; they returned > for a second descent, cleaning the hardware and leaving the canyon > with only slings off trees. He mentioned the canyon was FILLED with > tree matter at that time, which apparently was a bloody mess to get > through, but made for good anchors. Though he told these short stories > with little ego, his eyes did light up with the memories of adventure, > along with little details and funny notes. It was joyous to see such a > recounting of old exploits.
    I had lots of questions for the man, but as his wife seemed marginally > interested in the conversation, I throttled my curiosity so they could > resume their ski. I did get his name: Steve Lameraux. I was thrilled > to hear about such canyon descents, outdating any stories I had heard, > especially from a guy who seemed so humble about the endeavors. > Apparently, Steve left Zion in the 70's for California, where he and > his wife have been living since. They do have a cabin up on the KT > road, however, and now visit more often in their retirement.
    Thought I'd share this story for historical interest, since the > "earliest descents" and other related history questions come up from > time to time. It's fun to know folks were out exploring serious > canyons before "canyoneering" was a word, wondering if anybody else > out there also did this then-esoteric sport.
    Nick Wilkes >
  13. stefan

stefan Guest

On May 31, 2010, at 12:29 PM, MarkS wrote:

> I've been reading alot of the tales on the canyon tales site. There > are some great stories on that site.

thanks for reading, mark. glad you're enjoying them.

stefan