Send us a suggestion!

Historically Speaking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kuenn, May 5, 2022.

1. Kuenn

Kuenn

I attended a meeting at the NSS office recently and later browsed around the "vertical museum", consisting of artifacts from the collections of vertical on-rope pioneers over the years. Some fascinating devices on display.

Remarkably, these devices are not that old considering the pioneers are still around to regale about using them. "Good old days"?

A few pictures of what is there:
    IMG_0293.

IMG_0292.
    Bill Cuddington explained the purpose of the "spring" addition (above). It was to keep the rope from running-off the spool.
    Notice the spool owned by Richard Schreiber. What is cut off on the label is "2nd Descent of Fantastic pit". (586' seen here - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/fantastic-pit.)

This plaque is just outside the entrance to Ellison's Cave and Fantastic pit.
    upload_2022-5-5_11-54-54.

IMG_0299.

IMG_0301.

IMG_0295.

IMG_0296.

What's gathering dust in your closet?
    Taylor and ratagonia like this.
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

The whaletale reminds me of @Bluu 's devices