Send us a suggestion!

Hikers Injured in Rock Fall Incident at Grand Canyon National Park

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by shioshya, Mar 30, 2011.

1. shioshya

shioshya Guest

2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "shioshya" <shioshya@...> wrote:
    http://go.nps.gov/1oc20y
    which says:

Hikers Injured in Rock Fall Incident at Grand Canyon National Park

Date: March 30, 2011 Contact: Shannan Marcak, 928-638-7958

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – Two hikers were injured yesterday in a human-caused rock fall incident on the South Kaibab Trail below the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.

On Tuesday, March 29, at approximately 2:15 p.m., the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a report that a male hiker had been injured by a rock fall in "the chimney" (a section of tight switchbacks located immediately below the rim) on the South Kaibab Trail. Emergency response personnel were immediately dispatched to the location.

Upon arriving at the scene, responders found two people who had suffered non-life threatening injuries in the incident – one nine-year old male and one 18-year old male. At that time, park staff were also informed that the rock fall appeared to have been human-caused.

While rangers began investigating the rock fall, emergency responders stabilized their patients before transporting them to the rim. By 3:15 p.m., both patients had arrived at the South Rim; and the nine-year old male was taken to the North Country Grand Canyon Clinic where he was treated and released. The 18-year old male was transported via ambulance to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment.

The investigation has indicated that the rock fall was unintentionally caused by the activities of a visitor on a switchback above the injured hikers.

The National Park Service would like to remind everyone to use caution when approaching the edge both on the rim and on the trail as loose rock is prevalent and easily dislodged. Hikers are also reminded that during the spring freeze-thaw cycle an increase in naturally occurring rock falls should be expected.

No additional information about this incident is available at this time.

-NPS-
  3. JosephD/Sara

JosephD/Sara Guest

It's good to hear that they were not killed and it was not done on purpose!

Every time we have gone to the South Rim I've seen people throwing rocks into the canyon. I'm supprised more people haven't been hit with rocks. A few months ago, softball sized rock from 30' above landed in the trail one foot in front of Joe as we were coming up from hiking the Grandview loop- he saw the kid above and shouted at him. When he got to the top he exchanged a few choice words with the parent and the kid about not throwing rocks and you can kill people.

The one that scared me the most was watchng a man give his 4yr old and 6 yr old each a rock to throw into the canyon near the Bright Angel trail, that part where you look over the edge of the canyon and you can see the people below. I know I scared the kids when I shouted-Don't throw rocks there are hikers down there, What the F%#& you could kill someone!!

You'd think people would know better..... but they don't. -Sara