Send us a suggestion!

UT: Robber's Roost High Spur - June 2014

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Bill, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

This past Thursday Jake, @Tyler , and I left Utah county and headed down to the the Roost Area with plans to do High Spur.The road from Hans Flat to the TH was fairly rough in a few spots but nothing required 4wd, just a bit of clearance. It took us about 5 hours from Orem to the TH including dinner in Green River and few stops for photos. Friday morning we were up early and hiking towards the canyon at 8am. The upper slot was dusty, dry, and very beautiful and soon we arrived at the first drop with a large pool below. We replaced some sketchy looking webbing and opted to rappel rather than down climb due to the unknown debt of the pool below. It ended up being a short swimmer with a nice wallow in knee deep mud on the far side. From that point down we encountered some sort of mud or water in all the slot sections. The final slot before the rockfall had some very putrid thigh deep mud and water but the light bounce was amazing. We made the final 80' rap, found the exit, and made the long road walk back to the truck in just over 6 hours. Good times, cant wait to do this one again.

IMG_4331. IMG_4342. IMG_4349. IMG_4356. IMG_4385. IMG_4388. IMG_4413. IMG_4428. IMG_4446. IMG_4465. IMG_4471. IMG_4476. IMG_4480. IMG_4485. IMG_4491. IMG_4494. IMG_4498. IMG_4513. IMG_4544.

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Rapterman, Udink, April and 6 others like this.
  2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Awesome. Love this one.

Did you take the last steep hill that goes off the main road to get closer to the trail head? I recall that being intense.

Great pics.
  3. Ram

Ram

Man....great eye, good equipment equals great results. Stunning pictures Bill! Thanks
    Bill likes this.
  4. Tyler

Tyler

Thanks again for the last-minute invite. This is a memorable one for sure.
    Bill likes this.
  5. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Do you mean this spot on the exit/shuttle road that extends towards horseshoe canyon? That was by far the roughest spot I noticed and we only passed it on foot as we walked the entire road out back to the TH. There was a few penalty points on that one if you got off line and into that 3' deep rut. Next time I'd drive out there for sure, much better camp options including this small site where someone used some core samples to create a fit pit. At a distance I thought this was tin cans....
    14448736171_87415ddeb0_c.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

That is the one! Yes, great camping in there. I remember being focused on that steep hill with my truck. Bit of luck to pull it off correctly, as penalty points were high.
    Bill likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

And that's why I travel with a hi-lift :)
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.