Send us a suggestion!

helicopter hand signals~now a mini TR

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by neil wilkinson, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Red Rocks NCA, Las Vegas, NV

Let me paint the scene. It's 10:30 PM on a Sunday night. A passing motorist sees lights on a cliff face while driving and thinks it might be a distress signal. (Most likely climbers and head lamps on a porta ledge) Anyway, they call the police to report what they see. It just so happens that I & two partners where exiting a canyon (after dark) that night. Walking across the desert out of the area around Ice Box canyon. It was early spring and we where still wet & a bit chilled so why not finish the last mile or so still in our wetsuits? Do you see where this is going?

Anyway, here comes Sheriffs' Air checking into the possible signal for help. Honestly, I think the pilots where mostly board and looking for a good reason to buzz the Red Rock cliffs in the dark. Well, under the qua-trillion whatever power spot light what do they see? Three people walking along through the sage brush w/head lamps turned off & wearing wetsuits. I can only imagine what the helo crew must have thought to themselves.

You guessed it, they landed. So, the pilot gets out of the chopper. He never asked if we needed help. His first question was, 'what are you guys doing out here, do you climb in wetsuits?' I think pure curiosity made him land, we where most likely not something he sees everyday in that environment. :)

Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.