Send us a suggestion!

Heaps TR 6/6-6/8, found rope, lost tripod head

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by jmpdelos, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jmpdelos

jmpdelos Guest

I and a couple of others did a trip through Heaps from Phantom valley on 6/6-6/8. There was just a bit of running water from PV and a couple of side drainages along the way so that all the potholes were completely full and it was just flowing (maybe 1 CFS or so?) into the upper Emerald pool. The fact that everything was full made for an easy trip (as far as a trip through Heaps can be easy) aside from our decision to carry lots of heavy camera gear. The small waterfalls at the various drops were also really nice -- I'd highly recommend it in this condition. The final rap from the bird perch was interesting as the wind would periodically blow the waterfall (like a medium downpour) onto me as I was crossing the knot as the first person down. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

I did lose the head from my tripod (a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head if by some miracle it's not at the bottom of one of the potholes and someone manages to spot it).

We also retrieved a rope that was hanging over a small ledge above the bird perch if someone wants to claim it.

Jeff
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Envious!! How long did you take? Day trip? Overnight? If camping, where? Start at the Grotto or Lava? Sure would love to see some Heaps pictures? Especially off of good camera equipment. I have done it full and flowing a little both. I remember when the 2 raps 75 yards below the rap out of Crossroads, were still there (since washed away). When it was full, just getting into the water would break a dam somewhere low on the downcanyon side of the debris drop and a new falls would echo from nearby, yet out of sight. R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "jmpdelos" <polk@...> wrote:
    I and a couple of others did a trip through Heaps from Phantom valley on 6/6-6/8. There was just a bit of running water from PV and a couple of side drainages along the way so that all the potholes were completely full and it was just flowing (maybe 1 CFS or so?) into the upper Emerald pool. The fact that everything was full made for an easy trip (as far as a trip through Heaps can be easy) aside from our decision to carry lots of heavy camera gear. The small waterfalls at the various drops were also really nice -- I'd highly recommend it in this condition. The final rap from the bird perch was interesting as the wind would periodically blow the waterfall (like a medium downpour) onto me as I was crossing the knot as the first person down. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable trip.
    I did lose the head from my tripod (a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head if by some miracle it's not at the bottom of one of the potholes and someone manages to spot it).
    We also retrieved a rope that was hanging over a small ledge above the bird perch if someone wants to claim it.
    Jeff >
  3. jmpdelos

jmpdelos Guest

We started at the grotto. We spent two nights; one in PV since we were relatively slow getting there (original plan was to spend the first night at the crossroads for more time for pics on the second day). The second night we spent down close to the exit. Since we were slower than expected, we didn't stop to set up many pics which was a bit of a bummer. I believe I did get at least a few good ones and will try to post some this weekend.

Jeff

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Envious!! How long did you take? Day trip? Overnight? If camping, where? Start at the Grotto or Lava? Sure would love to see some Heaps pictures? Especially off of good camera equipment. I have done it full and flowing a little both. I remember when the 2 raps 75 yards below the rap out of Crossroads, were still there (since washed away). When it was full, just getting into the water would break a dam somewhere low on the downcanyon side of the debris drop and a new falls would echo from nearby, yet out of sight. > R
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "jmpdelos" <polk@> wrote:

Jeff
    >
  4. RAM

RAM Guest

I have never camped in either of those spots, but have wanted to, especially those ledges near the end. Never had direct sun on me during the big wall. Sounds lovely. Looking forward to the pictures ;-) R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "jmpdelos" <polk@...> wrote:
    We started at the grotto. We spent two nights; one in PV since we were relatively slow getting there (original plan was to spend the first night at the crossroads for more time for pics on the second day). The second night we spent down close to the exit. Since we were slower than expected, we didn't stop to set up many pics which was a bit of a bummer. I believe I did get at least a few good ones and will try to post some this weekend.
    Jeff
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Envious!! How long did you take? Day trip? Overnight? If camping, where? Start at the Grotto or Lava? Sure would love to see some Heaps pictures? Especially off of good camera equipment. I have done it full and flowing a little both. I remember when the 2 raps 75 yards below the rap out of Crossroads, were still there (since washed away). When it was full, just getting into the water would break a dam somewhere low on the downcanyon side of the debris drop and a new falls would echo from nearby, yet out of sight.
    R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "jmpdelos" <polk@> wrote:

Jeff