Send us a suggestion!

Heaps canyon fatality Zion Press Release

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Listserve.w, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Listserve.w

Listserve.w Guest

From ZNP website:

Canyoneering Fatality in Zion National Park Date: June 5, 2007 Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811 Contact: Ron Terry, 435-772-0160

Keith Beidermann, 48, of Garden Grove, California, fell to his death while canyoneering in Heaps Canyon in Zion National Park on Monday evening, June 4. The fatality is currently under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in cooperation with the National Park Service.

Upon completing the 285 feet last rappel out of Heaps Canyon, Beidermann’s two companions were at the Upper Emerald Pools waiting for him to descend. For unknown reasons, Beidermann fell to his death. Once his companions determined that Beidermann had not survived the fall, they hiked down the trail to Zion Lodge and reported the incident to Zion Dispatch at 11:34 p.m. Park Rangers responded to the scene and confirmed that it was a fatality. Beidermann and his two companions had a valid permit for Heaps Canyon on Monday, June 4.

Superintendent Jock Whitworth warns that Heaps Canyon is a very difficult and technically challenging route. It should only be attempted by skilled and experienced canyoneers. Heaps Canyon is temporarily closed to canyoneering while the incident is under investigation.
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke Guest

Please keep Keith's family in your thoughts and prayers; I can't even begin to imagine the pain they are going through right now.

A tragic day indeed.
  3. I can't call Keith a close friend, but I do think of him as more than an acquaintance. I met him at last years San Gabriel Rendezvous and we did San Antonio Canyon togather. He was a good guy with a zeal for canyoneering. A guy I would have liked to have canyoneered with more.

I saw him last the Chris Brennen's home, he was excited about the formation of a new local canyoneering group and wanted to be involved with it's leadership.

I'm deeply saddened by his death and send my sincerest condolences to his family. He is apparently survived a wife and daughters.

I would like to suggest that the funds raised by the local chapter of the ACA be donated to his family rather then used to fund a local ACA rendezvous.