Send us a suggestion!

Heaps canyon fatality July 11, 2015

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by hank moon, Jul 12, 2015.

1. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Just heard a credible report of a fatality in Heaps canyon last night. No other details. :(
  2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Oh no... Horrible.
  3. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Yikes! No Bueno! :(
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Terrible.

Nothing on the NPS site yet.
  5. Bob Wire

Bob Wire

6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Doesn't sound like the final sequence, which has historically been the spot where fatalities occur.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

SL Trib says:

"Search and rescue workers reached a fallen Zion National Park canyoneer Sunday morning, only to find that the Las Vegas man had died from his injuries.

Park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus said the 24-year-old man, whose identity was being withheld pending notification of next of kin, had fallen 100 feet into the southern Utah park's Heaps Canyon about 7 p.m. Saturday. Three companions descended to him, one staying with the victim while the other two went on to find help.

About 11:30 p.m. Saturday, they reached park personnel. However, with conditions dark and treacherous, rescue efforts had to await dawn Sunday to proceed.

"Heaps Canyon is a strenuous, challenging technical canyon with an approximate 3,000-foot descent," Baltrus explained. "It usually takes 12 to 20 hours to complete, consists of a number of rappels into cold water, and ends with a final 280-foot rappel to the Upper Emerald Pool area."

Early Sunday morning, a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park hauled two park rescue workers into the canyon above the victim, from where they rappelled down to him.

They learned he had died during the night of his extensive injuries.

remims@sltrib.com"

Tom
  8. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

wow that is so sad.
  9. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Best not to speculate at this point, but it didn't mention that this was a rappelling accident. Makes you wonder where exactly it was.
  10. Stevee B

Stevee B

11. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I had a similar thought about the knife edge, but...

The article states that his friends continued THROUGH the canyon to get help. If he fell at 19:00, and his friends reached help at 23:30, it seems unlikely that they did the whole canyon in 4.5 hours, the last 2 being in darkness.

19:00 seems an odd time to be so high in the canyon.

There I go, speculating....
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Stillnoeyeddeer likes this.
  12. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

For all of us who have done Heaps, it is hard not to speculate until more information is released.

Much sincere condolences to the family.
    Stillnoeyeddeer likes this.
  13. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

From that last article....
    As of July 6, 2015, Zion has had 175 emergency medical assistance calls, a 34 percent increase over last year. There have been 57 search and rescue calls in 2015 compared with 32 for the same time last year, a 78 percent increase. Over the past week, the park rangers responded to at least 16 EMS calls, including three carry-outs from the Narrows on Wednesday.

I would love to see the real stats for hiking related versus technical canyon related and how many were "tourists" going up the narrows unprepared and/or not in good health?
    Bootboy likes this.
  14. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I think a demographic breakdown of these stats would be revealing
    Deagol likes this.
  15. Phavant

Phavant

Mountaineer likes this.
  16. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

One of the guys on the trip posted some stuff on reddit, he said they were at the keyhole area after the iron room.
  17. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Keyhole area?

Climbed out of the Devils pit?

The "side canyon" bit doesn't really make sense either.
  18. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

If its the area I'm thinking of then you're right its the devils pit area where you come into a cross hallway and then there is a big log wedged into te opening that is to the left of where you come in that you climb over as you head down canyon.
  19. Rapterman

Rapterman

We are in shock... calling friends to find out who and what.... just realized this is (at least part) of a really great group of young men we
    just met in Big Falls canyon at Mt. Charleston two weekends ago...condolences to friends and family... our hearts are with you.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  20. ratagonia

ratagonia

The brief bit of information from Reddit:

knoubis>
    Hey guys, I'm one of the three other canyoneers mentioned in the article. The fall happened at the "keyhole" area after the iron room. This was the first time through heaps for all 4 of us. We misread beta and thought that the opening by the keyhole was the up-climb before the final sequence. I can try to answer any other questions.

kittenbear313>
    I'm so sorry to hear that. that must have been so awful for you. so he fell 100 feet trying to climb up to find an anchor? did they reach his family yet? just wondering who it is.. if we know any of u? I'm so sorry again..
    knoubis >
    He was above the climb, looking around the mesa that he'd climbed. The family has been notified, I'm only comfortable saying that we are the group that did big falls with the canyonwerks folks 3 weeks ago.

vegasbickel >

What were you using for beta? Were helmets worn?
    knoubis >

We were using bluugnome, we just miscounted raps. Helmets were worn.
    vegasbickel >
    scary stuff
    Anna likes this.