Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Heaps 6/9/2018

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Krampus, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Krampus

Krampus

6/8/2018
    -Started at Lava Point 6/8/2018 at approximately 1300 hours. Group of 6. 2 vets and 4 virgins.
    - Group of 3 passed us on the West Rim Trail telling us they were going to camp in Phantom Valley and get an early start.
    - We camped above Phantom Valley around 1830 hours to get some rest. Although we wanted to camp in Phantom Valley that night, we decided it was best to let the group water up and rest for the next day.

6/9/2018
    - Woke up around 0600 hours, hiked into Phantom Valley. Got to the canyon head around 0830. Jumped into the Canyon around 0920.
    - We did the canyon two weeks prior and could tell the water was down around 18 inches from the last trip. On most keepers we hung a ladder on a pack was were able to escape most. I thought the log blocking the canyon would be the hardest obstacle but we all got through ok.
    - One guy wearing a 3mm wetsuit started to get cold toward the end, One guy wearing a 7mm said it was too much when moving but when he stopped he started to get cold as well. I had a 5.4mm and was fine.
    -Got to the last rap around 1830 and could tell we needed to move with urgency if we wanted to have light on the last rap. Everyone got down with light except for the last two. Last two were on the perch and needed headlamps to finish.
    - When we pulled the rope down from the 2nd stage the last few inches got stuck on the little tree that protrudes from the perch. It actually tied itself into an overhand know around one of the branches. Needless to say, rapping that last stage in the dark was not the funnest thing I've done.

Two times down Heaps in 2 weeks is enough for me this year.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome. So you never caught up the other group, I presume...

Tom
  3. Krampus

Krampus

No.

They were a small group and likely had a 3 hour head start on us. We were moving pretty slow as well. I'm guessing they got down around 2 or 3.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    ratagonia likes this.