Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Harry Potter Day in Hogwarts (9/23/17)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Erin, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Erin

Erin

IMG_0342.JPG

Just four wannabe witches still waiting for their letters from Hogwarts...

Erin, the short-legged but enthusiastic Hufflepuff

Debra, the sassy Ravenclaw who was hexing EVERYTHING and managed to rock three Ravenclaw scrunchies

Katie, the fearless Gryffindor who lead the group in Harry Potter trivia and had an atrocious British accent

Ashley, the sweet Mormon girl who delighted in her role as Slytherin

Sam, the muggle who took these pictures

As we journeyed through the Forbidden Forest (aka Hog Springs)...

Ashley got a little carried away with her Slytherin identity. "Avada Kedavra!" she yelled, pointing her wand at an innocent rock.

Throughout the approach hike, we stopped to answer Harry Potter trivia questions. You were not allowed to proceed until you answered a question correctly!

IMG_0372.JPG
    When we gained the top of the ridge, Katie pulled out her map. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good," she recited. Confirming that we were in the correct location, she put it away with a "mischief managed."

IMG_0379.JPG

Upon reaching the first rappel, we caught up with a group of nine guys. One of them was waiting for us and was obviously trying to contain his laughter when he noticed our wands and outfits. He explained that some of his group had already rappelled, only to realize they didn't have enough rope to complete the canyon. "Can we share with you guys?" he asked.

"Only if you can answer Harry Potter trivia!" Katie shouted gleefully. And then, something super freaky happened. Something almost... magical. He was holding Katie's wand, examining it, when Katie quizzed him, "What is the disarming spell?"

"Expelliarmus!" he exclaimed. He tossed Katie's wand back to her, and... IT BOUNCED OFF HER HANDS AND RIGHT BACK TO HIM.

Magic.

At the top of the first rappel, we set our stuff down to gear up. Debra's homemade golden snitch started to roll away. "The snitch! The snitch!" we screamed. Mohammed, a Saudi Arabian student at the U, reached out and grabbed it. "You did it! You caught the golden snitch!" we cheered. Mohammed, not being familiar with Harry Potter, was completely baffled by all this praise. He also probably wondered why there was so much fuss over a piece of chocolate with paper wings.

IMG_0364.JPG
    (Debra and her homemade snitch)

IMG_0343.JPG
    (The scene at the top of the first rappel. Mohammed, the Seeker, is on the left.)

IMG_0378.JPG
    (First rappel)

We soon reached the pothole, the only real obstacle in this canyon. As Debra stemmed over it, she lost one of her blue scrunchies. The group discussed a way to retrieve it, but Debra was more cautious. "Wait! It might be a horcrux!"

IMG_0345.JPG

When it was my turn, I found myself wishing I could disapparate and reappear on the other side. This pothole was an old nemesis of mine; I fell in a few years ago when it was a full swimmer. Today, it was only about knee deep and a bit of a drop if I fell. I decided to be cautious and just enter the pothole and let my friends help me out the other side. But no, this other group of guys REFUSED to let me do this. "I'll give you a piggyback ride over it," one of them insisted. "No big deal." My jaw dropped and I gave him a look that clearly said, "You have lost your mind," while Debra's voice came from the other side. "OH MY GOD, YOU HAVE TO DO IT. I AM DYING TO SEE WHAT THAT WOULD LOOK LIKE."

After I declined several more times, he finally settled on tying our harnesses together and stemming across next to me. I think he thought he would catch me if I fell, but I totally would have taken us both out. However, I had no intentions of stemming over the whole thing; I figured I would reverse when I got to the part where my legs clearly weren't long enough.

Sure enough, we got there and he saw that I really couldn't reach. However, I'm glad that I let him talk me into it because I was able to step on his feet to get the extra height I needed to make it across. Yes, it was just as awkward as it sounds. Canyoneering gets intimate real fast. But anyway, Debra must have cast an impervius charm because I stayed dry!

Unfortunately, I somehow managed to drop a carabiner during this operation, and now both my carabiner and Debra's scrunchie were lost in the pothole. And this sweetheart of a guy went in and retrieved them for us!

Other favorite moments from the day:

Sam's demonstration of what happens when cryptobiotic soil is watered. We then placed a protective enchantment on it.

The quiet guy from the other group who spoke up only to answer the most obscure trivia questions... correctly.

The rappels in this canyon, which are particularly scenic.

FullSizeRender. IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0368.JPG (I landed directly in the tree below me. Typical Hufflepuff.)

Debra kept saying, "This is my favorite day ever" and I agree! The only thing that would have made it better is if we had butterbeer waiting for us at the end!

*Photos by Sam Wright, aka, the muggle

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      121.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Awesome trip report! Hogwarts is great!
    Erin likes this.
  3. Austin Baird

Austin Baird

You people are my heroes.
    Erin likes this.
  4. Cameron

Cameron The canyons are my playground

I obviously love this!
    Erin likes this.
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

I enjoyed reading the TR and seeing that y'all had fun with it. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have made it past the trailhead. Harry Potter? That was the Colonel on M.A.S.H...no wait, that was Harry Morgan playing Colonel Potter....

To each her/his own buffoonery. Always keep it in perspective when doing this stuff - as it appeared you did! :moses:
    Taylor, Erin and Tom Collins like this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

That would be Col. Sherman Potter for you M*A*S*H fans
    Kuenn and Erin like this.
  7. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

very nice! :twothumbs:
    Erin likes this.
  8. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

Nine guys show up to do Hogwarts and don't have enough rope!! Ladies, why did you waste your time with them? Fun TR, thanks.
    Erin likes this.
  9. Taylor

Taylor

Best trip report of the year so far!
    Erin likes this.
  10. Erin

Erin

Thank you! We can't be the only ones who have done this... it was so much fun, I would think there'd be lots of Harry Potter groups going through there! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk