Send us a suggestion!

Happy Hooker - does it work?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tom Jones, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

I am contemplating the future of the Happy Hooker. Since I have used up the recycled tent pole segments I got from Black Diamond, I would have to purchase segments to produce more Hookers. Which would put the price quite a bit higher.

But really, the question is, does it work? More specifically, for those of you who own them:

1. Does it work?

2. Do you use it? Is it worth carrying?

3. When and how have you used it?

4. Have you EVER used the extension?

just wondering...

Curious Tom
  2. We've carried one many times but never had to use it.  I don't think its' worth keeping in my tool box.                     Spidey                

--- On Thu, 1/15/09, Tom Jones ratagonia@gmail.com> wrote: From: Tom Jones ratagonia@gmail.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Happy Hooker - does it work? To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 8:43 PM

I am contemplating the future of the Happy Hooker. Since I have used

up the recycled tent pole segments I got from Black Diamond, I would

have to purchase segments to produce more Hookers. Which would put

the price quite a bit higher.

But really, the question is, does it work? More specifically, for

those of you who own them:

1. Does it work?

just wondering...

Curious Tom
  3. cardlaw22

cardlaw22 Guest

Got to agree with Spidey since I am the one carrying the thing. Carried it a lot and never used it.

Scott Card
  4. A.J.

A.J. Guest

Haven't used the brand name one, but I have carried an avy probe that I taped hooks on before. Have used it to get out of potholes that have had holes blown out (Imlay I think it was) to just bypass the ones that were blown out. Also used it in Cricket successfully on the scary upclimb to bypass blown out holes and unsuccessfully to try to pull myself closer to the big pothole ledge when I was hanging down from the bolt. Have used it in several other canyons to get out of potholes. I find it a useful tool in the bag of tricks; albeit not used a lot (and not carried a lot...) YMMV.

Take care, A.J.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cardlaw22" <cardlaw22@...> wrote:
    Got to agree with Spidey since I am the one carrying the thing. > Carried it a lot and never used it.
    Scott Card >
  5. jef levin

jef levin Guest

I've used it a couple times, and think it's an awesome tool. Aside from keeper pots, I've also found it useful for retrieving the occassional hook anchored handline (the ones that won't flip off). Never used the extension, and probably won't continue to carry it. - Jef

Posted by: "Tom Jones" ratagonia@gmail.com ratagonia

I am contemplating the future of the Happy Hooker. Since I have used up the recycled tent pole segments I got from Black Diamond, I would have to purchase segments to produce more Hookers. Which would put the price quite a bit higher.

But really, the question is, does it work? More specifically, for those of you who own them:

1. Does it work?

just wondering...

Curious Tom
  6. Rob Heineman

Rob Heineman Guest

I've used it. Really good at some things. Like adding weight and ripping holes in packs. Really good at other things, too. Deep keeper in Quandary. Rather than dicking around with a potshot. Hooking the bolt hanger in the deep pothole in the Squeeze, rather than dicking around with a potshot. Hooking the ledge at the bottom of the Squeeze if your 5.9 slab skills aren't getting it done and you are tired of potholes. May even have used it to surmount a logjam in the Black Hole one chilly February. Have loaned it to the GF for learning aid on sandstone towers. Got texted on the drive home:

"Tower rocked! Thank God for the Happy Hooker but aid is hard."

The extension? Loaned to a friend and lost in a pothole. Useful. Relearning that people are more important than possessions, and the greater canyoneering community is magnanimous to a fault (thanks, Bennie, for finding and returning the hooker!).

Useful tool, but for limited applications. Have used the etrier I tied for it a lot more than the hooker itself. Frankly, probably more useful for hard technical aid climbing than canyoneering. Probably won't sell a ton. If discontinued, would be nice if you posted the blueprints and a how-to on your site so interested parties could make their own.

The Toymaster

PS When are you coming out with the FWRSIT (Funnelator Weightbag Remote-delivery System Widget Item, or Frack, We're Really Screwed Without It) so we can stop throwing our shoulders out without getting the bag anywhere close? It always worked with heavy waterballoons in college.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    I am contemplating the future of the Happy Hooker. Since I have used > up the recycled tent pole segments I got from Black Diamond, I would > have to purchase segments to produce more Hookers. Which would put > the price quite a bit higher.
    But really, the question is, does it work? More specifically, for > those of you who own them:
    1. Does it work?
    just wondering...
    Curious Tom >
  7. morgan2ski

morgan2ski Guest

I use one made from an avy probe pole and same ibis hook from pika. Have carried it several times but really only needed to use it once in Quandary direct. I find the talon hooks more useful in canyons like imlay or heaps where holes have often already been drilled.

Morgan

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    I am contemplating the future of the Happy Hooker. Since I have used > up the recycled tent pole segments I got from Black Diamond, I would > have to purchase segments to produce more Hookers. Which would put > the price quite a bit higher.
    But really, the question is, does it work? More specifically, for > those of you who own them:
    1. Does it work?
    just wondering...
    Curious Tom >
  8. Rick Pratt

Rick Pratt Guest

We have used it a couple of times but mostly just to see how well it would work in case we really needed it. The Pot Shots were really the tool used. We did not buy ours from you but instead brought a light weight set of avalanche probe poles and simply duck taped (we always carry a bit of this) an Ibis hook to the probe poles. The concept is great but the need for a "specialized" one use tool is not necessary.