Send us a suggestion!

Happy dog and Poe 6-13 & 14

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Teasdale, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Teasdale

Teasdale

It was a few months in the making to put together a team to head out the Kingdom and see what we are made of, myself and my canyon brother Jack, and Jason and Chris, good climbers and good friends who are game for adventure. Jack and I have a lot of canyon experience and had practiced the toss a little but we were back and forth between excitement and nervousness. Our climbers were fully (maybe naively) confident. But we made the trek out there and went for it with confidence in our team. What we found was that all the keepers and problems and obstacles are on a bit of a hiatus and that a water park has moved in. Everything is absolutely positively full to the tippy top. Not a single pack toss or pot shot was required. Climbing out of a few of the holes we examined the slopes of the wall under the water and even dove down into some holes trying to reach the bottom to know avail. We were humbled by awe of the canyons and grateful for the fun water park party we got to have. Poe took us 7 hours camp to camp, and we took our time and played in a few places. Happy dog was 8 hours. Happy was was tougher and more challenging because of the stemming. What did we end up learning? It's an amazing place, we had a fun team, it's a 3BIII when full,we can make that throw, and they should charge an entry fee into water parks that are this much fun.

We are grateful to those who have gone before us and shared the info to make the trip possible for us.

A few things to note. The approach hikes,anchor issues, and remoteness of these canyons still make them nothing to take lightly even in these friendly conditions. The dead man anchor that is often in the watercourse was compromised. We weighted it and it seemed good. When we sent the heaviest, having it backed up, it fully blew. On the way down Jack inspected the single bolt below so we jumped the first part of that rap and went off the single bolt below. Also, you can see the rubble pile at the pit is full of sand. Right now it does not appear as if you could count on it to catch anything, not sure when the sand and mud dry up.

What an amazing trip. Glad to have good friends to adventure with.I was all smiles at the end. We backpacked out in the night to beat the heat and it made for a fitting end to an epic adventure.

sorry these pics didn't load in order...

DSCF5156. gearing up
    DSCF5238. jack on the final rap DSCF5161. steep approach hikes, beautiful the whole way DSCF5196. the fun section of stemming in happy dog, stemming in the upper section if rugged with abrasive rock. it's all a little friendlier towards the lower section. DSCF5205. fun chimney with deep pool in happy DSCF5170. best lunch room ever P6060558. more stemming in upper part of happy P6060563. P6060591. almost looks like jason is standing on the water as he jumps rap 5 of poe P6060596. swimming under the arch DSCF5247. wow P6060598. water park fun P6060597. P6060617. P6070644. jumping into the pit, you can see the mud in the ruble pile P6070643. the pit P6070636. P6070682. all smiles at the end. Jack and I being from the midwest we reminisced about King's Island water park as kids P6070632. P6070648. FUN
  2. Taylor

Taylor

Awesome. Poe was almost bone dry when we did it exactly two years ago. Interesting how the conditions can be so different from year to year. Perhaps I need to put together another crew and go see it full. Thanks for the report.
    Ram likes this.
  3. Ram

Ram

How about the difference in less than a month.
    A few days ago
    [​IMG]

A bit less than a month ago
    [​IMG]

That is about 24 feet deep in water for you!. I suspect that the storm that caused this was quite recent. What I can't figure out is what kind of storms leave the place tippy top full and where on a pot by pot basis. We had high water once and it had rained the day before. 9 out of 10 pots were full, but the odd ones would be down a bit. I considered it might be the porous nature of certain pots, but considered that it could be the hydraulics of specific floods and that they would have great variable within each flood, at different places, in the slot. Our water park had the Pit down 5 feet and coated in mud so we had to do the thing just like normal. Full throws and before the new debris pile. But more interesting was that all the pools on each side of it were full. So I am surprised, but not shocked to see this pit full for you. Speed of the water through there for you versus for us? More? Less? Slowing? Speeding up? I love the sports mysteries. Here is our Pit exit when it was full all around us
    [​IMG]
    2065toyota, hiac, Chad and 3 others like this.
  4. Ram

Ram

I suspect it is dropping rapidly or will soon. Evaporation in the heat of summer and porous rock.
  5. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Looks like you did not need to practice the 50ft potshot toss after all.
  6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Remember this from 3 weeks ago?

The watercourse is left to right. The first pothole was 12-15' deep and only wet sand in the bottom. 5' away and the DC pothole was as full as could be. I suspect that while porosity of the rock plays a role, more significant could be fractures in the rock or the potholes reaching a certain, poorly mineralized bedding plane through which water drains much more quickly.

Cool stuff

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434419436.520421.
    Chad, gajslk and Jenny like this.
  7. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Very cool trip report. Awesome!
  8. hiac

hiac

I enjoy reading your post.
    for the picture 5:01, "fun chimney with deep pool in happy", i am thinking you might start to slide down and jump into water. But at high up, you are not worry you might land on the rock?
  9. Teasdale

Teasdale

I think we jumped in from about where you see jack in that picture. To jump from higher would have required running on the angled rock to get out far enough.