Send us a suggestion!

News Happy Birthday!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Ram

Ram

It's not everyday that our young man turns 60. Many of you only know him from his contributions, which are many and amazing, on the boards. Some may chaff at the sharp edges of some of these posts. But I know him better than many of you. The Tom Jones I know is quietly one of the most generous people I have ever known. He gave when he did not have it to give. This is surely one of the signs of a great and true heart. He cares deeply for many people and ideas. A passionate adventurer, now into his 6th decade (were you active before 10, Tom?) of operating. I wish him many more days of high adventure, passion, love and happiness.

Ram

PS. While I don't always agree with all his ideas and opinions.....but I expect that that will not make a darn bit of difference in how he views me and no great schism will occur. Tom, you have taught me many things over the years and many of your sayings and your approach, I have absconded with and made my own.

PPS Here is some shots of the man. Feel free to join in

This one is VERY special. I was down in Marble Canyon, all alone, with bad back, in the wind, in a collapsed tent, on my birthday, awaiting the Marble Fest to repopulate (it went 3 weekends). He shows up to keep me company and I muddle thru Sevenmile canyon with him. Here on the rim afterward
    [​IMG]

Styling at Freezefest III
    [​IMG]

Casual in Upper Stair. WHAT? No helmet?..No, he lent it to someone who forgot theirs
    [​IMG]

Legends
    [​IMG]

Leading the way
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

He's a keeper!

Most likely we too oft take for granted on the CC, it's amazing to me that individuals with such credentials, knowledge, experience and free-advice, he's very open to share with the total stranger or longtime associate - doesn't matter which. Very rare, especially in extreme/technical sports, to find people of this caliber and generosity.

Happy Birthday old timer! :thumbsup:
    townsend, Jenny, Ram and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rapterman

Rapterman

Happy Birthday Tom! :)
    Thank you for contributing SO MUCH to canyoneering:
    Author
    Guide
    Equipment designer and manufacturer
    and 'on-line force of nature'
    60 years- young scorpions rule!
    :twothumbs:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Dave Melton, Jenny and Ram like this.
  4. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Happiest of Birthdays, Tom!! Although you can be a bit overwhelming to some people, like Ram so eloquently stated, your contributions are without compare. Thank you so much for everything you've given to the community, and I hope you spend the day doing what makes you smile. Cheers for everything and here's to another 60!!
    Rapterman and Ram like this.
  5. joeb

joeb middle aged guy who lies around alot

Happy Birthday Tom!

While I have only met you once in person while picking up some rental rafts for a GC adventure, it was your Zion Canyoneering book that got me into the sport. It has exposed me to beautiful places and great adventures dangling off cliffs on skinny pieces of rope in remote places far from civilization and the daily grind of wife and family duties.:twothumbs: Thanks!

On the other hand - my wife does not wish you a happy birthday as for the above reasons o_O go figure!
    RossK, Rapterman, Ram and 2 others like this.
  6. Alane Urban

Alane Urban

And some pics in canyon and out of canyon as well. You have been a great friend and mentor to me and many. Thanks for everything you do for the canyon community, Tom! A belated happy 60! IMG_0856. IMG_1569. P1010664.
    Ram, Rick Demarest and ratagonia like this.
  7. RossK

RossK

Belated birthday wishes Tom. I only had the good fortune to spend time with you for the first time this year, but even before then you were helpfully taking time to answer my questions on forums and I'd heard good things from other relative "newbies".
  8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Happy birthday Tom!
    ratagonia likes this.