Send us a suggestion!

Halls Creek - Water?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by aj.outdoors, May 23, 2012.

1. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Hey all,

I'm going to be joining a group that is heading towards the Halls Creek canyons (Baboon, Dog and Poe/Cricket.) Was wondering if anyone has been in any of those recently? (Any recommendations on anchors, water levels, wetsuits, etc?)

I'm guessing not, but the big question is that since things have been so dry lately, I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in that area where they have not seen any water for filtering/drinking? (Through Halls Creek narrows and/or near the tech canyon exits.) I'm guessing it's a pretty safe assumption that those springs won't be dried up; but would love a second opinion...

Thanks in advance for any info, and hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! (Especially all the SaddleFest folks! Hope to join the fun next year!)

Take care, A.J.
  2. Malia

Malia Guest

AJ,

I don't have specific info for the area you are headed to, but I heard that it hailed around the Capitol Reef visitor center area last Friday. Maybe there is hope of filterable water for you despite the dry hot spring...

I also heard the wind was blowing hard enough last Sunday to move camp chairs and coolers around near the head of Ticaboo canyon... ;-)

It would have been fun to run into your group. Did you catch the eclipse? Seems like that campsite might not have had a view of it, but it would be a good choice for afternoon shade this time of year.

Good luck with your plans this weekend!

-Malia

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@...> wrote:
    Hey all,
    I'm going to be joining a group that is heading towards the Halls Creek canyons (Baboon, Dog and Poe/Cricket.) Was wondering if anyone has been in any of those recently? (Any recommendations on anchors, water levels, wetsuits, etc?)
    I'm guessing not, but the big question is that since things have been so dry lately, I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in that area where they have not seen any water for filtering/drinking? (Through Halls Creek narrows and/or near the tech canyon exits.) I'm guessing it's a pretty safe assumption that those springs won't be dried up; but would love a second opinion...
    Thanks in advance for any info, and hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! (Especially all the SaddleFest folks! Hope to join the fun next year!)

Take care, > A.J. >
  3. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Hey Malia,

Thanks for the thoughts on the Cap Reef conditions.

Yeah, wind sure does some wild stuff... ;)

Definitely would have been fun. A near miss. Hope to catch up with you on another trip.

Hope you have a great time too! A.J.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Malia" <msmnificent@...> wrote:
    AJ,
    I don't have specific info for the area you are headed to, but I heard that it hailed around the Capitol Reef visitor center area last Friday. Maybe there is hope of filterable water for you despite the dry hot spring...
    I also heard the wind was blowing hard enough last Sunday to move camp chairs and coolers around near the head of Ticaboo canyon... ;-)
    It would have been fun to run into your group. Did you catch the eclipse? Seems like that campsite might not have had a view of it, but it would be a good choice for afternoon shade this time of year.
    Good luck with your plans this weekend!
    -Malia >
  4. I haven't been there this year, but even in drought years, there is water in the HC Narrows.   I've never (accurately) heard of it being dry.   PS, DO NOT trust the rangers at the visitor center concerning water in Halls Creek.   Many are completely clueless.

________________________________ From: aj.outdoors ajmail2011@gmail.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:18 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Halls Creek - Water?

Hey all,

I'm going to be joining a group that is heading towards the Halls Creek canyons (Baboon, Dog and Poe/Cricket.)  Was wondering if anyone has been in any of those recently?  (Any recommendations on anchors, water levels, wetsuits, etc?)

I'm guessing not, but the big question is that since things have been so dry lately, I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in that area where they have not seen any water for filtering/drinking?  (Through Halls Creek narrows and/or near the tech canyon exits.)  I'm guessing it's a pretty safe assumption that those springs won't be dried up; but would love a second opinion...

Thanks in advance for any info, and hope everyone has a great Memorial Day!  (Especially all the SaddleFest folks!  Hope to join the fun next year!)

Take care, A.J.

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  5. Pete

Pete Guest

AJ:

I did a trip into the Narrows last weekend. I didn't go into any of the side canyons you mention. There was periodic moisture/water in the wash hiking down, but nothing you'd want to drink. Lots of dried, white ?salt/alkaline deposits in those areas.

The map showed a number of tanks in the side canyons. Adkison (sp) claimed a perennial tank in the second canyon below Red Slide. It's on the map.

Plenty of water in the Narrows (but only up to high thigh on a 6-footer). We camped at the "sacrifice area" just inside the Narrows and tried to get our water from the seep parts of the creek. We either treated it or used Aqua Mira. So far, so good.

I carried a full camelbak and a liter bottle going in. Used all the camelbak and should have drunk more. It was really hot in the wash. Hard to stay hydrated.

The green flies were just hatching at the bottom of Narrows.

Wandering the cool Narrows with its 650' walls and meandering round and round. Wonderful!

Have a great trip!

Pete

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@...> wrote:
    Hey all,

Take care, > A.J. >
  6. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Thanks Scott, Malia and Pete!

We did find water in the Halls Creek narrows (as Pete reported), as well as good water coming from Miller's Creek. The water from Halls Creek continued for as far past the narrows as we went (to the wash coming from Poe/Cricket), but there was lots of beaver activity past Miller's making the water more cloudy and suspect.

There was good water coming from Happy Dog too, but it had poison ivy growing in the watercourse (which I will be sending another separate e-mail on.)

Overall, the canyons in the area were drier than our original trip through in 2008; and we found dry conditions on Good Hope Mesa as well.

Thanks again! A.J.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Pete" <PKlein95014@...> wrote:

AJ:
    I did a trip into the Narrows last weekend. I didn't go into any of the > side canyons you mention. There was periodic moisture/water in the > wash hiking down, but nothing you'd want to drink. Lots of dried, white > ?salt/alkaline deposits in those areas.
    The map showed a number of tanks in the side canyons. Adkison (sp) > claimed a perennial tank in the second canyon below Red Slide. It's on > the map.
    Plenty of water in the Narrows (but only up to high thigh on a 6-footer). > We camped at the "sacrifice area" just inside the Narrows and tried to > get our water from the seep parts of the creek. We either treated it or > used Aqua Mira. So far, so good.
    I carried a full camelbak and a liter bottle going in. Used all the camelbak > and should have drunk more. It was really hot in the wash. Hard to stay > hydrated.
    The green flies were just hatching at the bottom of Narrows.
    Wandering the cool Narrows with its 650' walls and meandering > round and round. Wonderful!
    Have a great trip!
    Pete
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@> wrote:

Hey all,

Take care,
    A.J.
    >