Send us a suggestion!

Halls Creek Narrows question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jolly Green, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I'm planning an overnight backpacking trip through the Halls Creek Narrows this fall and the one question I haven't found a great answer to is about finding drinking water. We will likely come down from the airstrip and camp just before the narrows. Anyone know how far into the narrows you have to go to find filterable water? Any springs anyone has come across before the narrows? Not too thrilled about the prospect of pumping any of the tanks in the area.

Thanks- Bryce
  2. Ram

Ram

Most of the floor of Hall's is in the Carmel. Water tends to not be clear in there except where other soil types have come down the conveyor belt which is the wash. Often one finds good clear seeps in these compacted soil locations. Pumping from tanks is not so bad as it seems. Also just a ways up the fold in the Carmel-Navajo junction? One usually finds springs there, in heavily vegetated spots. The water is usually a tad cloudy but of good quality. The price of admission, so to speak. Do treat the water quite well. Beaver activity is heavy, as the gnawed trees will attest to and some folks I know have experienced the joy of 'beaver fever."
    Jolly Green likes this.
  3. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Great input. If anyone would know this, it would be Ram. Thanks.