Send us a suggestion!

Half Dome Fall

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by kgsm91, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kgsm91

kgsm91 Guest

Just got back from a week in Tuolumne Meadows with my wife. We didn't spend any time on Half Dome because the route to the Valley was closed due to a fire, but spent a lot of time on the domes in the Meadows. Some of those climbing route walk-offs from the tops of the domes are, as Luke Galyan likes to say, "attention-getters". What's fun and exciting under dry conditions would be a whole different matter after a cold rain shower and dusting of snow. That girl who fell from the chained route down Half Dome probably didn't realize what she was getting herself into, just like probably more than 90% of those coming down the Dome in those conditions that day. With their gear along, the Brazilian climbers were probably the only ones who had any fun.
  2. restrac2000

restrac2000 Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kgsm91" <dsrtfox@...> wrote:
    Just got back from a week in Tuolumne Meadows with my wife. We didn't spend any time on Half Dome because the route to the Valley was closed due to a fire, but spent a lot of time on the domes in the Meadows. Some of those climbing route walk-offs from the tops of the domes are, as Luke Galyan likes to say, "attention-getters".

Jealous. I miss the time I have had in the Meadows. It was only a few times but they were great solos and trad routes. I was lucky to have friends working at TPR and a place to crash that was a great basecamp. My first date with my wife started there and ended 7 days later. Not to mention the amazing food down at Lee Vinning at the gas station while watching a buncha amateurs fling themselves around on the trapeze,.

I found just about every route in that area humbling. I need to get my lead head back and play again. Day dreams.

Phillip
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@...> wrote:
    I found just about every route in that area humbling. I need to get > my lead head back and play again. Day dreams.
    Phillip >

Tough Crowd! (of climbs there, as far as the leading head goes).

T
  4. nat_smale

nat_smale Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "ratagonia" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@> wrote:

I found just about every route in that area humbling. I need to get
    my lead head back and play again. Day dreams.

Phillip

T >

Amen! After regularly climbing in the Valley, and feeling good about it, I would always have to bump things down a notch or two in the meadows. I remember whimpering on a number of leads there. Beautiful spot to hang out in though.

Nat
  5. kgsm91

kgsm91 Guest

We were shocked at how many routes were rated "X" or "R" including the easy 5.6 and 5.7 climbs that most interested us. We experienced what we considered to be significant runouts on routes rated "PG" in our Falcon guidebook. I was very glad I brought my slider nuts; I got some protection in places where others with a standard rack wouldn't and it certainly helped keep my blood pressure down!

Nevertheless, we did see a bunch of free soloers, including one guy who passed us on the Great Northwest Book on the Lembert Dome. Like our experience on Tunnel Vision last winter, a bunch of climbing parties were stacked up, so the free soloer had to wait on small holds for awhile while things loosened up ahead. Just like that other situation, this guy was calm as could be, talking with Bonnie and me like we were hanging out with him on the veranda at Bodie Mike's. Naturally, we let him "play through" at the first safe opportunity.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "ratagonia" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@> wrote:

I found just about every route in that area humbling. I need to get
    my lead head back and play again. Day dreams.

Phillip

T >