Send us a suggestion!

GSENM Road Report

Discussion in 'Utah' started by baggiebloke, Mar 14, 2019.

1. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Current BLM Road Report PDF on the website is from March 4. Can someone tell me if they are posted that infrequently?

I will be in Kanab during 1st week if April and trying to figure out what might be accessible in AWD high clearance. Given the wet winter, should we write off any ideas for accessing canyons from Cottonwood or Skutumpah Roads by this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

3. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Called Kanab Office three times. Eventually left a voicemail. Didn’t get a call back. Will try again. Sorry - I couldn’t open the link in your attachment

4. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

No way to predict road conditions this far in advance; however, the current report + continuing precip in the weather forecast suggests poor conditions could be likely.
  5. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

Not sure what happened to my photo, but it was just a capture of the phone numbers from the website.

But like Hank said, no way to predict this far out and even a day or two out. The Cottonwood Road consists of long sections of clay, so it doesn't take much precip to make it a mess. I would watch the weather and if it stays dry for the next few weeks, it might be dried out enough. Still might have small sections that are impassable. Be prepared with the proper equipment and don't be hesitant to turn around before you get in too deep :) But, I would definitely have a contingency plan or 2 just in case.
  6. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

No don’t write them off. It’s drying quickly. Errrrrrrr edited: lots of rain the week of March 18th predicted.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    baggiebloke likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Cottonwood road is famous for trapping the unwary. It has hills of super-slippery clay that NO vehicle can get up, however capable, at times, after rain. Beware, and don't push it.

Tom
    wisconnyjohnny and baggiebloke like this.
  8. hank moon

re: "hills of super-slippery clay"

When the road surface is basically peanut butter, it doesn't even take a hill: an mere 4 - 5° bank is enough to send you sliding sideways toward Stuckville. Ask me how I know.
    wisconnyjohnny and ratagonia like this.
  9. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Thanks - not going anywhere near these roads if recent rain or rain forecasted. I see some rain forecasted for middle of this week, but Wunderground is also showing a long dry spell after thru to their horizon of middle of next week. Fingers crossed. Also hoping this means easier access to Paria and Wire Pass.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    ratagonia likes this.
  10. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

This weeks forecast 5AE98DBD-E05A-4467-AC75-6C5E10695076.
    baggiebloke likes this.
  11. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Can’t find a “dislike” button for this forecast.

Two years ago, we got rained/snowed on in April in Escalante. Hole in the Rock was open, and we got down Egypt 2 and Redbreaks without too much drama, although there was a fair amount of water in the lower sections of the former (we escaped at midway point).

Last year we skipped canyoneering in Utah for spring break to go kayaking in Baja Mexico, and just my luck for Utah to have a dry winter/spring. This winter/spring we thought we would give Utah another go, and now the whole of the west is either soaked or buried in snow.

Fingers crossed for a dry spell for next couple of weeks after this weekend.

12. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No way.

Some of us are looking looking forward to a long spring of packrafting ephemeral desert rivers.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Advantage Packrafters...
    Bootboy and wisconnyjohnny like this.
  14. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Dry weather for the last 5 days, new GSENM Road Report shows roads improving in the west in last month, grading underway on Skutumpah Road...no rain in forecast for next week...I have hope...yeah! Given up on Cottonwood Road...that is clearly not going to happen.

15. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Cottonwood is open. Drove it yesterday as far as Hackberry and it was in good condition. Skutumpah is washed out at bull valley (bridge washed away). I assume the pick up survived. Closed at Lick coming from south and at bridge over the river coming from north, according to the ranger we spoke to at Paria Contact Station.

16. hank moon

Hello everyone here is a current updated road report! We still have a few of our forest roads still impassable at this time. Be safe out there and always be prepared with extra food, water and gas.

”Current conditions may not be reflected on the road report.” Check with your friendly neighborhood visitor center for the most current conditions.

“[Monument roads] exist by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” -Will Durant (paraphrased a bit)

Jean Hall
    Park Ranger, Visitor Services
    Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
    Cannonville Visitor Center
    Escalante Visitor Center
    (435) 826-5499
    (435) 826-5646

Screenshot 2019-06-10 10.58.01.

Attached Files:

ratagonia likes this.
  17. hank moon