Send us a suggestion!

Grand Canyoneering April 1-5

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Scott Patterson, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Is anyone interested? If I can find a good partner or two, I was thinking of doing some Grand Canyoneering.

Some possibilities:

Big Canyon
    Hades Knoll Canyon
    Fern Glen
    Cove Canyon
    North Canyon/Rider Loop, Badger, et al
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I would be interested, but not sure I can fit it in. I travel for work 31st-2nd. Returning to Phoenix the evening of the 2nd. So depending on what you pick and the estimated duration, I may be able to swing it.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

If you are short on time and coming from Phoenix, I think Big Canyon would be the shortest drive? I don't have my book with me, but let me check how long the canyon takes. I'll check this evening.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Online trip reports make it sound like most people take 2-3 days. One of those anchors looks scary!
  5. MrAdam

MrAdam

Big Canyon can be done in one long day. I think it took us 13-14 hours and we hiked out Salt Trail by headlamp.

Wish I was available that weekend. Cove and Hades Knoll are high on my hit list.
  6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Its a long shot, but I'd be interested. No real preference on the slot(s)
  7. Mike Zampino

One of those trip reports may have been mine. :smug: The anchor is not as bad as it looks in photos. Those dates may not be good for Big if you want clear water.

I don't mind driving.

I also don't have my book at work, but will look tonight also.
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

One of those trip reports may have been mine

I see. I only suggested that one since it might be the shortest drive for you, but I'd be open to any of these (or other ones as well).
  9. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

If you're doin' a repeat sometime April 27-May 2, lemme know. I'll probably sneak a mid-May trip in, too, before it gets too hot.
  10. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

Scott and Mike,

We don't know each other but I plan to be climbing and canyoneering in Utah May 3 - 24. Would be available then for a GC trip.

PM me if you would like to gauge my experience and suitability as a partner.

Craig
    canyoncaper likes this.
  11. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

Scott, I would be interested in a GC trip. It has been 30+ years since I did most my GC exploring. Depending on the dates, I may be able to bring my very capable son Wes. Mike, your toe will be healed by then?

Logistically Big Canyon would be easier for us S of the big ditch.

Chris Grove
  12. Mike Zampino

Have you had a chance to investigate further? What about Boulder Creek or even Garden Creek if you don't have a packraft?
  13. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

What about Boulder Creek or even Garden Creek if you don't have a packraft?

Garden Creek is on my list, but I don't know if I'd want to go to the Bright Angel Trail or the main part of the South Rim Easter weekend.

I'm leaving town, but will get back to everyone after the weekend.
  14. Jerry Kauffman

Jerry Kauffman

15. Jerry Kauffman

Jerry Kauffman

Scott,
    I'm very interested. Haven't done a canyon since last Spring but I'll be in the area that week. I'm also a kayaker and a rafter but don't have a packraft.
    Jerry
  16. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Those dates may not be good for Big if you want clear water.

Do you think fall would be better for this one?

Anyway, I do have a cheap raft that will do as a packraft, but I'd rather not do something like Boulder Creek in it, though that canyon looks very nice.

Would anyone be interested in North Rider? Or what about the Navajo Nation. I'd really like to do some of those canyon north of Navajo Mountain sometime.
  17. Jerry Kauffman

Jerry Kauffman

A friend and I are trying to get together to do some canyons March 30 - April 5. Maybe we can join up together. I'll be at the Boatman's Training Seminar near Marble Canyon March 28 and 29. You've picked some great sounding canyons. Hades Knoll, Cove, Rider and Big all sound great.
  18. Jerry Kauffman

Jerry Kauffman

Where did everybody go? I leave to drive out to Marble Canyon today. Not sure if I'll have email. Spotty at best probably. Feel free to call my cell phone 408-515-6042. I'll retrieve messages and call back as soon as I can.
  19. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Sorry, I haven't got back. I've been trying to sort things out at work. I'm down to only a three day weekend.:banghead: Plus my dad (72 years old) wants to go and I don't think he could do the Grand Canyon slots. I think I'll head to the Swell or Escalante if anyone wants to join.

That said, I really want to do another Grand Canyon trip. I'm thinking of Thanksgiving weekend. I assume that water would be clearer in Big Canyon as well.