Send us a suggestion!

Grand Canyon Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Derek

Derek

I am looking to take a trip to the Grand Canyon this summer and looking for some suggestions on which canyons to canyoneer. I am looking for a 1 to 3 day trip, wet or dry, but no packrafting. I have never packrafted and an overnight might not be the place to start. I am ok with something strenuous, great with natural anchors and potholes. Any suggests would be great! What are the best technical canyons you have achieved ? Also maybe a easy single day route with packrafting would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

When exactly are you going? Summers are brutally hot in the GC. As in, kill you hot.

Do you own a copy of Grand Canyoneering?
  3. Derek

Derek

Bill I am open to anytime this year. The canyon would determine when I would go. I do own a copy of the book. There are a ton of routes and looking for opinions on what you thought were the best. Appreciate your time.
    Bill likes this.
  4. zul

zul

Garden Creek is a strenuous day, no packrafting. Class C fun. Done in a day, no permit necessary.

If you are able to carry the load, there is no reason to shy away from pack rafting options, IMO.

Silver Grotto is a strenuous day (possible to overnight/backpack). Includes 1 mile pack raft, route finding challenges and good luck figuring out Navajo road access. All part of the adventure! 2 permits required (Navajo and GCNP).
    Bill likes this.
  5. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I did Hades Knoll and 150 Mile last April. Each trip was over three days. Both are fairly straightforward, though Hades has a few more rappels than the description calls for if you're like me and something less than superhuman. 150 Mile of course had some fun with ascending the drops. Each was exceptionally scenic (to the point where 150 Mile could be considered one of the most beautiful canyons I've even been in). I felt like each was a good introduction to canyoneering in the Grand without being too serious (compared to other routes).
    ratagonia and Bill like this.
  6. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I would second Shinumo Wash as a great intro to the GC with packrafting. This is likely the closest thing you will find to a trail in the GC. Good redwall narrows that is technically simple. Packrafting is short and straightforward with a few riffles. Sunrise to sunset full day for our group of 4-5 at the end of Feb. Other good options in Marble canyon like Badger and Soap that can be day trips without packrafts or permits. You will hate every minute of it if you go in the summer. March is usually a great time.
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. Derek

Derek

Thank you so much for the advice guys. I will continue my research and ask questions as I go..... Thanks