Send us a suggestion!

Grand Canyon rafting/ canyoneering trips wanted

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Jerry Kauffman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Jerry Kauffman

Jerry Kauffman

Experienced rafter/kayaker/canyoneerer looking for canyoneering and Grand Canyon rafting or other trips this Spring or Summer. I’d also like to kayak the Escalante again and the Virgin if the right flows can be caught. Here is some background on me to help you make a decision.

I have over 35 years experience canyoneering, rowing, paddle rafting, and kayaking. I’ve been fortunate to boat rivers from the Western U. S. and Alaska, to Asia and South America. My favorite river of them all is the Colorado, which I’ve done 27 wonderful times, including a couple of seasons commercially. I’ve done trips with groups new to the Canyon as well as experienced groups. I started canyoneering when I lived at the Grand Canyon back in the 80’s. Before that I was into climbing, rafting and kayaking. I’ve been able to enjoy canyons in the Swell, the Roost, Escalante, Ouray, North Wash, Moab, Mogollon Rim, Ecuador, California, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell and Zion. I usually try to spend a month playing in the canyons each year. I have ropes up to 200 feet, am safety minded and eager to get back inside a spectacular canyon.

I’m 60 years old, very active and in good shape, a college instructor, don’t smoke or do drugs, but I do like to have a beer after a hot day. I’m fun loving, easy going, really like to hike, have been EMT, CPR and Swiftwater Rescue certified, like to make new friends and enjoy the camaraderie of others on the river.

A number of years back I was a naturalist at the Grand Canyon, helping people learn more about the natural, human and geologic history of the Canyon. I can help you pick the best campsites and hikes. Also, I’m familiar with the rapids at different flows and know how to pace a trip. If you are an experienced group, I’m happy to just go with the flow.

I can row or paddle captain a rented boat or take my own fully equipped 16 foot Avon Pro. It’s set up with the same frames as the commercial companies use, which means it will carry a ton of gear including lots of rocket boxes, is quick to load, has a large table and a giant ice chest. Gear wise, I’m pretty well set with a lot of the equipment that a group needs. I’m happy to help with trip preparations and don’t mind doing groover duty.

Hope this info gives you a better picture of me and how I can add to your rafting or canyoneering trip. Please feel free to contact me. It would be good to chat to get a sense of each other and meet up if possible. I’m also not well versed with this site so will have to learn how it works.

Thanks,

Jerry Kauffman
    April and ratagonia like this.