Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Grand Canyon Backpack Options

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by TJ Cottam, Nov 27, 2013.

1. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

What packs are people using for longer multi day Grand Canyon trips. Big enough for a few days of gear, ropes, rafts, overnight gear, ect. that carry well and are relatively light but also sturdy enough to hold up to the canyons.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Anything made by Lowe alpine more than 15 years ago.
  3. Ram

Ram

The Heaps pack fits me well. It has large capacity. It drains water exceptionally well
  4. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I sure wish the Heaps was big enough for me (I'm 6'5", and rapidly getting too old to get by with a pack that doesn't fit me!)--if you're in the right size range, definitely start there.

We've had success with the Cold Cold World "Chaos". http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm with added drainage grommets. Nice pack.
    I've actually also used an Osprey Aether which doesn't hold up as well--but I've had two Osprey packs replaced using their killer warranty. I don't like the thought of a disposable pack, though.
    TJ Cottam and Ram like this.
  5. Ram

Ram

I have heard folks of smaller physical stature state that the belt system on the Heaps can't be cinched enough for them, but not heard of it being not big enough. Are you talking about carrying capacity or fit here? I loosen the straps on the Heaps and I fairly "swim" in the thing (6'1" 200LB) but have wished I could stuff a bit more in, on rare occasions. Overnight canyoneering in wet, technical settings is about as gear intensive a package as one can get.

Nice job adapting the Cold Cold World packs to your needs. I LOVE that pack brand. It has been my alpine pack for almost 20 years. Carries ice ax, ski poles, crampons. Wide range of packing size options from day trip to long overtnight with the same pack. You can pack it like a brick. Durable material, although it would not hold up in the "skinnies" if taken canyoneering there. Nothing does and nothing does better than the Imlay Leprechaun.

I have used the same CCW pack for 20 years in the alpine. I use the smaller pack
    http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chernobyl.htm
    I can pack a week in the thing and have done several mid (5.7-9) 5th class carry overs with it. Canyon gear? Love Tom's stuff. The alpine pack? CCW is my ticket. besides, I gotta support a fellow who names his packs Chaos, Chernobyl, Valdez, Ozone :devil:
    YMMV
  6. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I'm 6'5" 210lbs. It's primarily a torso length issue. There's a marginal capacity issue--some of my gear is just a little bit bigger with my size (that XL-Tall wetsuit takes up some space!), and I eat like a horse. My trips tend toward multi-day (and the original post mentioned multi-day) in the GC, so add some extra food, and maybe the pack raft, paddle, and PFD. A damn silly way to travel, but the suffer-factor keeps the crowds away!

I haven't seen a better design than the Heaps--alas, the travails of a too-tall dude.
  7. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

I fall into this category, with the heavier load a proper fitting option will make a big difference (also the Heaps doesn't actually exist at the moment :facepalm:).