Send us a suggestion!

Gopro hero7 black VS olympus TG 5

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Dan H, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Dan H

Dan H FNG

Looking at a new camera to carry with me in nasty places and can't decide which of these two we should get. Best for low light of canyons. Gopro is clearly better for video but is it almost as good for still images or is the olympus that much better? Thanks.
  2. GravityWins

GravityWins

I don't have both to do a head to head comparison but I can tell you what I have, why I chose that, and what my experience has been so far. After I've had the Olympus TF-5 longer perhaps I do a full review.

Background: I have a personal preference for photos over video. I've noticed that while a lot of gopros travel the canyons I rarely get back a set of photos with both people and scenery from those carrying the gopro. And only occasionally I do see bloopers and trip highlights in video form. My eyes are bad enough that I can't really see the screen or work fine controls without my reading glasses. In a canyon putting reading glasses on and off is both time-consuming and a hassle. As I was doing the same comparison you are doing I jumped on the TF-5 because I found one new in box for 199.

Things I enjoy with the TF-5
    • Photos and videos saved in jpg and raw
    • point and shoot, it gets decent pictures without fiddling with settings or really looking at the screen. I deleted one out of 60 on the last trip.
    • The photos from yesterday's canyon trip have already be uploaded and shared with the whole group I was with.
    • There are a number of predefined scene modes that work well for canyons. The two that I've used are both hdr modes that take multiple pictures and stitch them together to make a composite image. These modes appear to work well for dark canyons and canyons with high bright light. Scenes take noticeably better pictures than the auto mode when there is high contrast.
    • Picture quality is generally good, I think it will get better as I learn more about the camera and the associated quirks.
    • Battery life is excellent. Even taking hundreds of pictures in full day canyons, sometimes with the gps logging enabled the battery didn't run out.
    • I've had no problems with water between the lens and the uv filter thus far.
    My gripes with the TF-5 in no particular order:
    • Minor: Easy to accidentally turn on the gps logging. While it doesn't seem to suck up much battery I haven't used the log enough to find it useful.
    • Minor: this camera is much bulkier than a gopro
    • Minor: changes in temperature seem to cause the lens to fog. Since I like wet canyons my camera has to bounce between cold and wet, a warm shallow pothole and body heat tucked into the wetsuit and back again. I've treated the lens with rain-x and condensation seems to dissipate after a few seconds of adjustment.
    • Major: the controls are small enough that not everything can be done first try when wearing thick neoprene gloves.
    • Major: The screen and lens are not scratch resistant. To protect them I had to add a back screen protector and a screw on clear uv filter. I also use a lens cap. Ring+uv filter+lens cap+screen protector adds to the bulk and to the base price.

Accessory Gripes:
    • I bought the shoulder strap case I like having the camera accessible and out of my pants pockets but this thing is not canyoneering friendly. It requires two hands to get it in and out of the case. It's awkward to remove or replace with gloves. It pops the lens cap off while walking or removing the camera. The velcro attaching the case to the pack is too short It was built for wimpy camelback straps, not for a full pack like the Kolob. It adds considerable bulk to the camera. The bungee straps are already wearing after less than a half dozen canyons. The camera to case tether broke after just a few canyons.
    • Requires an adaptor ring just to use screw on filters or the lens cap. The ring comes with a lens cap but no tether for the cap. Since the OEM cap is not all that secure the cap didn't last long. I got aftermarket caps with a tether.
    • Only one battery came with the camera.

Both cameras have their place. Want to quickly share memories with the participants or the collective, probably going to grab the still shots from the TF-5. If you want to make a highlight video it's gopro all the way.

Feel free to ask questions or DM me if you want some sample photos.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Dan H likes this.
  3. Dan H

Dan H FNG

Perfect answer and pushed me back to the camera over the video. Thank you.
  4. Sutitan

Sutitan

Maybe a bit of a counterpoint. I considered the TG-5 before my wife ended up pulling the trigger on a Hero7 Black. I have some pictures of some canyons that were somewhat dark but not terribly so that I can try post later.
    • The GoPro can get very wide which is useful for capturing all the scenery in some very tight canyons
    • For scenarios where the ultra wide isn't needed, it can shoot in a linear mode which removes all the distortion.
    • It can also shoot raw photos, and has HDR capabilities.
    • The video stabilization is pretty phenomenal. While i dont like shooting video as I never do much with it, the quality is amazing and the stabilization smooths out all the bumps and gitters you'd expect from most action camera
    • Id almost consider the GoPros shape a negative if you're using it like a traditional camera. I think its too small and square which makes it easy to fumble. it practically always lives mounted to a floating stick if it comes in a canyon at which point the TG-5 will be smaller.
    • there are no manual dials which can make looking at the screen necessary if you're flipping between video and photo modes.
  5. Sutitan

Sutitan

Here's a few straight from the Camera shots. The lighting was pretty dynamic, so it was difficult to capture everything properly. Direct overhead lighting reflecting over wet black lava rocks. I think the little camera did great given the conditions.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. Dan H

Dan H FNG

Those are pretty good shots. Thanks for your input. I am still leaning towards the TG-5 because I will primarily be taking stills and only very rarely doing video. Thanks.
  7. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

After image stabilization, the next most useful function of the Hero 7 Black is the voice commands. Really helpful, for example, when skiing in full conditions and you don’t have to take off your gloves to fiddle with buttons.

Here is the list of voice commands:
    GoPro Start Recording
    GoPro HiLight*
    GoPro Stop Recording
    GoPro Take a Photo
    GoPro Shoot Burst
    GoPro Start Time Lapse
    GoPro Stop Time Lapse
    GoPro Video Mode
    GoPro Photo Mode
    GoPro Time Lapse Mode
    GoPro Burst Mode
    GoPro Turn Off
    GoPro Turn On (only with HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black, & Remo + HERO5 Black)
    That Was Sick*
    GoPro Capture (HERO7 cameras only)
    GoPro Stop Capture (HERO7 cameras only)
    * Adds a HiLight tag while recording video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kuenn likes this.