Send us a suggestion!

ghosting

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Dennis, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dennis

Dennis Guest

I am an experienced rock and ice climber. I have always wanted to learn more about canyoneering. I have been reading blogs were people are talking about ghosting. I do not understand this term. Would somebody please help me understand more about this.
  2. carpeybiggs

carpeybiggs Guest

hey dennis,

great question. "ghosting" is simply the idea of descending a canyon and leaving as little trace as possible. basically means you leave no evidence behind except footprints.

essentially, it means using creative partner techniques, retrievable anchors, and a little more of that gray matter stuff.

in particular, some members of this forum have been spending a lot of time working on an anchor that is called "the sandtrap." fill it up with sand, rappel off it, pull on a retrieval cord that dumps the sand, and the anchor falls to the ground.

but, that's just one of many ideas that are floating around. stay tuned, you'll be sure to see more in the future.

hope that helps...

- d

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Dennis" <denny@...> wrote:
    I am an experienced rock and ice climber. I have always wanted to learn more about canyoneering. I have been reading blogs were people are talking about ghosting. I do not understand this term. Would somebody please help me understand more about this. >
  3. TomJones

TomJones Guest

I s'pose it should also be pointed out that ghosting is essentially for 'virgin' or near-virgin canyons, rather than trade routes. Once a canyon has anchors established, the 'point' of doing it by ghosting diminishes substantially. When doing remote, rarely-done canyons, ghosting has the advantage of A. being fun and challenging; B. while requiring a set of tools, CAN use a lot less resources; and C. leaves the canyon in near-virgin condition, so the next party down can also enjoy a first descent.

Ghosting a trade route canyon and removing the established anchors would be extremely rude.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "carpeybiggs" <carpeybiggs@...> wrote:
    hey dennis,
    great question. "ghosting" is simply the idea of descending a canyon and leaving as little trace as possible. basically means you leave no evidence behind except footprints.
    essentially, it means using creative partner techniques, retrievable anchors, and a little more of that gray matter stuff.
    in particular, some members of this forum have been spending a lot of time working on an anchor that is called "the sandtrap." fill it up with sand, rappel off it, pull on a retrieval cord that dumps the sand, and the anchor falls to the ground.
    but, that's just one of many ideas that are floating around. stay tuned, you'll be sure to see more in the future.
    hope that helps...
    - d
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Dennis" <denny@> wrote:

I am an experienced rock and ice climber. I have always wanted to learn more about canyoneering. I have been reading blogs were people are talking about ghosting. I do not understand this term. Would somebody please help me understand more about this.
    >
  4. I get the messages forwarded to me...

I got 2-3 dozen of these identical messages

Seems like someone somewhere has a viral problem.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Dennis" <denny@...> wrote:
    I am an experienced rock and ice climber. I have always wanted to learn more about canyoneering. I have been reading blogs were people are talking about ghosting. I do not understand this term. Would somebody please help me understand more about this. >