Send us a suggestion!

Gear Review: polypropylene core static 9mm Edelrid Canyon rope

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tim Vollmer, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Tim Vollmer

Tim Vollmer Guest

G'day folks, Last weekend I got a chance to try out the polypropylene core static 9mm canyoning rope produced by Edelrid, which replaces what was a very popular rope which I enjoyed using. It seems they have changed the design drastically as a result of signing up to the Bluesign standard, which means switching to chemical components with lower ecological and toxicological impacts. While the rope is very light (even when wet), easy to handle and work with, and probably pretty good for casual canyoners, I was really underwhelmed. I felt it had far too much stretch, the sheath was too weak, and the fact that it can only be used double rope a major design failure. Like a lot of European canyoning gear it was probably designed and tested on smooth limestone and granite, rather than the harsh abrasive sandstone in Australia or the US. If you're interested, I have written up an extensive review, with photos, here: http://fatcanyoners.org/bush-guide/edelrid-canyon-9mm/ Cheers

Tim Vollmer Mob: 0404 273 313 Email: tim.vollmer@gmail.com Web: www.fatcanyoners.org/
  2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Thanks Tim, great review.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Tim Vollmer <tim.vollmer@...> wrote:
    G'day folks, > Last weekend I got a chance to try out the polypropylene core static 9mm canyoning rope produced by Edelrid, which replaces what was a very popular rope which I enjoyed using. > It seems they have changed the design drastically as a result of signing up to the Bluesign standard, which means switching to chemical components with lower ecological and toxicological impacts. > While the rope is very light (even when wet), easy to handle and work with, and probably pretty good for casual canyoners, I was really underwhelmed. I felt it had far too much stretch, the sheath was too weak, and the fact that it can only be used double rope a major design failure. Like a lot of European canyoning gear it was probably designed and tested on smooth limestone and granite, rather than the harsh abrasive sandstone in Australia or the US. > If you're interested, I have written up an extensive review, with photos, here: http://fatcanyoners.org/bush-guide/edelrid-canyon-9mm/
    Cheers
    > Tim Vollmer > Mob: 0404 273 313 > Email: tim.vollmer@... > Web: www.fatcanyoners.org/

>