Send us a suggestion!

Gated access to Orderville 4WD parking lot.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srosander01, Sep 18, 2018.

1. srosander01

srosander01

Does anyone have current information about the access road to the 4WD parking spot at the head of Orderville Canyon? The last time I was in that area to do Birch Hollow there was a gate that blocked the road down. I think that it was open, but we didn't drive past it in case someone locked us in. Does this Gate get locked at certain times? Is it there to deter unwitting canyoneers like it did to us years ago? Are there any restrictions that prevent access to the lower parking spot? Any input about this would be appreciated...thank you in advance!
  2. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Yes. No. No. No.
    srosander01 likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

I am a fan of conciseness. Good job JG.

The gate has been there a long time, as in, I am coming up on the 19th Zion year and it has always been there. Note that the upper parking lot is the Orderville CORRAL.

I have never seen it locked. I am not sure of the land status, but had thought it was all BLM.

Tom
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

For those interested, most of the road is on BLM land, but the very end is on private land, as is a section of Orderville down canyon of the road. Here is a screenshot of the map with land ownership layer, but I'm on a phone now, so it's not the best screenshot.

Screenshot_20180919-232839_Chrome.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Where do you find that information?
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Caltopo and listsofjohn both have links to land management layers that can be toggled on.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Listofjohn is geared for mountains rather than canyons, so here's how to do it. Search for a nearby peak such as Mountain of Mystery. Click on the coordinates. Turn on the land management layer and scroll over to Orderville Canyon.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks. I figured out how to get the parcel numbers on the Kane County website.

That parcel is owned by... wait for it...

The Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort.

Tom
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Here is the map. Ponderosa 640 acres includes the part of Orderville Cyn that used to be farmed - from the last part of the hill to the cul de sac where people now park.

Tom

Orderville Land Ownership.
    srosander01 likes this.
  10. scottensign

scottensign

Does this mean they could close access to Orderville if they decided to, like was just done to the Narrows. I have always worried about this- private landowners preventing access to national park land since they own the corridor into that area. There has been an ongoing battle of this type in Cache County, with respect to whether roads through private property are public.
  11. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I have mixed feelings about that since there has been a lot of trash being left by those who get permits. If you really want to do the narrows though you still can, just do something like checkerboard or one of the others that drops in high up, but still in the park and come down.