Send us a suggestion!

Gün Görmez Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Salman Mohammadi, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

Gün Görmez Canyon

1 Oct 2017

Varzghan-Iran

Some climbers informed us of this canyon. They have climbed some rocks there. We went to a village called Gül Akhir! We had to climb a mountain called Jalla Daghi (3500 m). We entered the canyon! The meaning of this canyon’s name is “a place with no sunshine”! Yes it was real. It was a really long way to reach the end of this dark and long canyon. There were endless rappels and we used every kind of anchor systems you think of! It was 17:00 we decided to exit the canyon but there was no escape!! Some clouds came up and some snow and then hail! We were really worried! Canyon was narrow and there would be no escape in case of flooding! Well snowing ended very soon. There was a roaring sound inside the canyon. After some rappel we came to the source of that sound! There was a new but dry landslide. We rappelled the place down with fear! It was going dark and we brought out headlamps. Well it got dark very quickly! And then howling! I thought they are wolves! I used a cracker! Fired it and threw it toward the sounds in the bushes up there! They calmed! When I rappelled down our guide together with a friend had gone to rig another anchor! I could hardly see to shiny eyes looked at me and turned away to follow our leading team! I fired another cracker an threw it toward the our 4 legs friend! But cracker just went out! With no sound! I think the animal jeered at me! I fired another one and the animal ran back up to the bushes! It looked to small o be a wolf! And the howling sounds too were now more like of jackals’. Well finally we rappelled the last 10 m. I got a big stick to guard the team’s back. It was 21 when finally we reached the cars.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    landslide
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Wow...great lookin' adventure...thanks!
    Salman Mohammadi likes this.
  3. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Wow. I'd put that story in the mix for trip report of the year. Thanks for sharing.
    Salman Mohammadi likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia