Send us a suggestion!

Göverchin Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Salman Mohammadi, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

A program by Tabriz Canyon Team and MSFI East Azerbaijan Branch Canyoneering Committee

6th April 2018

Göverchin Canyon is located in North West Iran in a region called Qaradagh. The area is a unique wild reserved area. Beside villagers farms and gardens there is a lot of wild fruits on the mountains and many plants with medical usage that people use them even in very modern cities.

We drove there via north of Tabriz to a village called Tarzam. 2.5 km after this village we reach the place where is good for some canyoneering.

This canyon has some 8 low waterfalls and you need to use rappel. The challenging waterfall is the last one that is as tall as 15 m with very strong hydraulic especially in rainy season like spring. Our Guide Mr. Davood Lotfi set up the anchor! We had to replace another hanger because some unknown had taken one of hangers. We used troll to pass the bottom because less experienced team members including me are capable of handling such challenges. After rappelling Mr. Davood helped some of us to use this strong hydraulic to get some experience in a real canyoneering! Of course I was not brave enough to enter this challenging job.

2 women and 6 men canyoneers took part in this program.
    [​IMG]
    some way to Tarzam Village and this fascinating scene!
    [​IMG]
    The canyon Entrance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Entering the canyon! A curious hiker had come from another city just to see how we do the canyoning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pyle762, Jman, miller.alice.d and 2 others like this.
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Reading your writing brings a smile to my face. I think it's the zest for life and almost child-like enjoyment of the magic we sometimes forget about these places and activities that exudes from the writing. But it might just be the language barrier. That said, your English is way better than my Farsi. My favorite part was

Our Guide Mr. Davood Lotfi set up the anchor!

I wish I could get that excited every time @Bootboy sets up an anchor.

I'd love to go canyoneering in Iran. Hopefully at some point in the future political realities would make that trip reasonable for me. Until then I'll have to live vicariously through you.
    Salman Mohammadi likes this.
  4. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

Thank you!
    Here there is a lot of canyons to enjoy and have fun. Aseman Rood and Raghaz and some others that never explored.
    About coming to Iran I must tell you that the problems are just among Trump and Supreme Leader:rolleyes:! People here are friendly to Americans and Europeans even Jewish. I sometime see Tourists around. I myself brought two German students to my home because they have reached at night and they stayed with us one night and showed them our city the other day. Papers always exaggerate and our own oppositions too have bad hand in making everything worse. We don't care about hardliners! Many climbers come here to hike our mountains. You will be welcomed when you wish to come here.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    RossK, miller.alice.d and Tom Collins like this.