Send us a suggestion!

Frost Knot VS Overhand in Webbing

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Jbryancoop, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Jbryancoop

Jbryancoop

Can somebody explain the differences pros/cons of using a frost knot versus a simple overhand on a bite with webbing?

IMG_5384. IMG_1023.
  2. Jake Freimanis

Jake Freimanis Ours is a quiet fear

I was told that it holds slightly stronger. I like it because it's a slightly larger knot - so it's easier to untie when it's been heavily tightened as can occur in some climbing applications with dynamic loads.
  3. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

The frost knot allows you to extend the anchor out to the edge for the last person allowing for an easier pull while rigging everyone else on the bite away from the edge for an easier start (courtesy).
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Methinks Jason and Jake have not looked at the pictures closely, as they have both stated distinctions without a difference.

Jake - looks to me like the Overhand on a doubled BIGHT makes a fatter knot than the Frost.

Jason - both knots have a shelf that is 3" higher than the loop at the end.

T
  5. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

True, didn't look at the pictures. He just asked for pros and cons. For me, the frost knot is a quick/easy method of setting up your webbing to be extended to the edge for a better, less damaging pull. So in my scenario, it would be a "pro" for the frost knot. If you tried to extend another piece of webbing from the tales of an overhand on a bite, you'd be loading the knot in a sketchier fashion.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

JBryan -

Welcome to the Canyon Collective.

What you have tied (second knot) is not a simple overhand on a BIGHT, but is an Overhand on a Doubled Bight, which achieves the same thing as a Frost Knot, but is a little bulkier and uses slightly more webbing. In a way I like it better because it is easily inspected by anyone familiar with an overhand on a bight, whereas few people use the Frost Knot so people would have difficulty inspecting it.

The Overhand on a Doubled Bight is an unusual knot. What would be more normal is to tie the webbing into a loop using a water knot; then add an overhand on a bight (maybe) for the ring. The point of the Frost Knot is that both these functions can be done with one knot... and the O-D-B does this too.

Tom
  7. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Yeah JBryan, welcome to The Collective.

^This is Tom being a bit sarcastic. You'll get used to it. He has a great sense of humor. He also has a lot of experience, a lot of knowledge, sells great gear, writes books, and has a unique ability to hold back his responses while displaying deliberate obtuseness to lure you into silly back-and-forths. Often you'll feel like such a loser in his presence. Rest assured, we can both probably think of worse things to be than a loser...
  8. Jake Freimanis

Jake Freimanis Ours is a quiet fear

You're totally right Tom, thanks for pointing that out. I apparently think that sometimes it's better to speak first and evaluate carefully later :tongue:
    So does the Frost knot have any advantage over the ODB other than using less webbing? Would you recommend using the ODB instead of the Frost because of its ease of inspection?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Snark, perhaps, but not sarcasm. Certainly "Welcome to the Canyon Collective" is neither.

I'm sorry, Jason, that your experience with me here on the CC is so sour. I do think that it helps to read and understand posts, and to look at the accompanying pictures, before responding... (a sincere statement, neither snark nor sarcasm)... and maybe you should add that to your repertoire. (Definitely snark!)

Have you looked at the pictures yet?

Tom
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. Jbryancoop

Jbryancoop

Thanks for the info, Tom and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk