Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Frog Hollow

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by 2065toyota, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 2065toyota

2065toyota

My sister in law had flown in from North Carolina on Saturday and wanted me to take her hiking Sunday. With all the snow the last couple of days Zion was a little on the cold side and the road above Silver Reef sucks when its wet. We had been talking about Frog Hollow for a while but had never actually went. It was a good fit for a little bit of a chilly day. The approach and the canyon would be brutal in the summer so I would save it for a cool day.

We put a quick plan together and 7 of us headed out Sunday morning for a little fun. The approach took us about 1.5 hours to get to the area where we could hike down into the canyon. We immediately hit the first obstacle which could be downclimbed, but our feet were muddy and the penalty points would be about a 15' drop into a 2' deep pool full of rocks. So to be on the safe side we found a good tie off point and rapped down. While looking for good tie off, I stumbled upon a geocache hidden in some boulders. It was an old army box and inside was full of stuff. The log book was dated back to 2004 with the latest entry being January of 2011. We entered our names and date and returned it to it's hiding place.

A fun little downclimb then the big rap. I had researched a bit and the best info I found was 240' - 260' on the drop. I had bought a new 300' rope but hadn't used it yet because Eric's 340' rope just seemed to work so good all the time. And he likes to pack it [​IMG]. So I biner blocked the 300' and toss it over for it's maiden voyage. I hook up and head over the edge and about 15' I feel something weird in my hand, but I know exactly what it is. A knot in my rope and I'm 230' off the ground. Not sure how it got there, but it was. I bought the rope and I stuffed it in the rope silo and it hadn't been out since. I decide that since I'm only 15' down the easiest would just be to go back up, so Eric lowers me another rope to clip in and he top belays me as I climb back up the vertical face.

We get the rest of the group down and continue down the canyon. A few small downclimbs and a hike down a long open canyon brings us to the next drop. A two stage, both into pools which we really didn't want to get wet. I get volunteered to go first, since it was my idea to come here. I get down and the first isn't deep at all and you can get around the water. The next pool is 30' wide and looks deep. I am precariously able to traverse around the pool using a few climbing bolts. It looks as if this entire canyon was first done as a climbing route for interested. I find a good anchor and set up another rope and set up a guided rap.

All the rest goes well as we continue down the remainder of the canyon with a couple of raps and downclimbs. Definitely not as scenic as the Zion sandstone slots, but so much better than sitting at home. And this is a perfect time of the year to go do it before the heat comes.
    DSCF5679.JPG DSCF5681.JPG DSCF5684.JPG DSCF5687.JPG DSCF5690.JPG DSCF5697.JPG DSCF5701.JPG DSCF5704.JPG DSCF5706.JPG DSCF5709.JPG DSCF5714.JPG

Featured Image for the Homepage
    slide.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Nice guided rap there... Tom
    Chris Grove likes this.
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Sweet write up. Just wondering, is Frog Hollow what the locals refer to as "Three Falls?"
  4. K Marshall

K Marshall Moderator

Dan, Frog Hollow is the canyon draining the northeast slopes of Molly's Nipple. Three Falls is a few miles north along the Hurricane Fault. The Gould's Rim mountain bike trail actually skirts the upper drainage of Three Falls.
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

Shorts and snow...y'all are tough.

Question about the big drop; what was the preferred rappelling device and how did you rig it (i.e. anything for extra friction). Looks like in one of the pics standard ATCs hanging from the girls gear loops...just curious. Nice report.
  6. 2065toyota

2065toyota

At the time about half of used ATC and the rest ATS. With the ATC I think I had MaryAnn rig normal with a leg biner backup because she doesn't weigh much. 2 more we had start with 2 biners on the ATC with a leg backup. I went first on an ATS and I looped one of the lower horns and also had a leg backup because it was a brand new rope. I didn't use the leg biner but I generally place one just in case on bigger raps. I used to clip the right leg but then you have to break upwards until Tom showed us to clip on the left leg, then you can break normally and also use your hips by twisting a little to also help control it. Other than my knot in the rope and the normal nerves of a 260' rap all went without a hitch.
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. Kuenn

Kuenn

Yep, new rope can be fast, but it sounds like you had the right tools, talent and know how...great combinations!
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

The know how I think is there, but the talent is definitely lacking:)
    Kuenn likes this.
  9. Krampus

Krampus

I live in Hurricane and have never done this canyon. I hike Molley's Nipple quite a bit and see the drop all the time. Looks like I'm going to have to try this one.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

This is a good time of year for that canyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Blake J

Blake J

Just wondering, I have spent my summers working in Hurricane, and I have spent lots of time back in the Three Falls Canyon, and played around and repelled off all the bolts around the lower falls, but I was wondering if there are bolts placed at the upper falls, the lower falls is a great place to take first time reppellers, but I would love to repel the much larger 1st fall. Ill definitely be adding Frog Canyon do my todo list! Thanks for the write up, I would have never known!
    hank moon likes this.
  12. bnwilso

bnwilso

Yes, there are bolt stations for all the drops in Gould Wash. If you use a car shuttle to drive to the upper trailhead it's a modest hike down drainage to the first drop. The first drops in all of those canyons in the Hurricane Cliffs (Gould, Frog Hollow, Rock, etc) tend to be quite long. The first one in Gould is 270 - 280, the second in the 100 - 120 range and then the short last one.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Dan Ransom and ratagonia like this.
  13. bnwilso

bnwilso

I forgot to mention if you descend Frog Hollow be aware that there are a few bolt stations around the big first drop. If you use the oldest rusty looking bolt station closest to the drop off and extend the webbing closer to the edge it's about a 190 foot drop. If you don't extend the webbing a 200 foot rope might be short. We had a 210 and it easily reached with the extension so the last man down took the extension off to save the webbing and rappelled from the anchor spot without problem. The new bolt station a little higher up on the south wall is probably in the 220 range, though I haven't ever used it. There must be another anchor further back or higher up that Kody used to require a 260 foot rope.
    Dan Ransom and ratagonia like this.
  14. Blake J

Blake J

Thanks so much the for the beta! I'll make sure ill bring the 300 footer!
  15. bnwilso

bnwilso

We descended Gould Wash today and the first drop is much longer than I remembered from previous passage. It's 270 feet, much of it free-hanging. I'll update my earlier post in this string to reflect that.
    Dan Ransom and hank moon like this.
  16. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Look in December you knew it was 270'!!! I wish I would have read this so that i wasn't hanging 60 ft off the ground.

Your good team work up top did save me from ascending 200 ft into icicles.
  17. bnwilso

bnwilso

CRNPRES after our descent the other day left you far short of ground, I edited the December post to correct the length of the first rap so someone wouldn't mistakenly read only that far and miss the fact in a later post that the drop was much longer than my original memory of it. Look on the bright side. You got to practice tying off, dangling like a pinata in a beautiful amphitheater and switching to a second rope while 70 feet off the ground. Johnathon got to practice passing a knot (he wanted to do that so much that he turned down my offer to lower him to ground). With Johnathon I got to practice solving the problem of getting you enough rope to get you down so we wouldn't have to hear you complain about the long, icicle ascent. And Hunter and I ended up getting a better workout than planned hiking back up canyon to the Jeep. Actually a very good day.
  18. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

That makes me feel better!
  19. VBlueV

VBlueV

fh2.JPG
    Descended Frog Hollow (via Mollies Nipple) March 2019. (Thanks to the above TR)
    First, the Mollies Nipple route gains a lot more altitude than needed to get to the head of Frog Hollow. So, if all you want is the canyon, suggest taking the Powerline route. That said, Mollies Nipple is an impressive prominent landmark, visible from the whole of Hurricane.

Started from the South-East corner of the houses next to the airfield. After gaining Mollies, we continued South toward and on the dirt road for quarter-mile until adjacent the minor drainage leading due East to another minor gully feeding North into the top of Frog Hollow (This course seemed like it had the least up-and-down traversing, vice if we made a bee-line from Mollies direct to the head) We saw two sets of anchors for the 20 foot pre-rap to get into the slot. One off the end of the side canyon (landed dry). And the other from above the first flute in the main drainage (wet pot hole at the bottom).

For the big rappel, we only saw one set of bolted/chained anchors up and back from the edge about 30 feet. We had 100 M, 70 M, and 30 M ropes. From TR above, the drop is allegedly 260 feet. So pulled the first 50 feet of the 330 footer thru the chains and 'biner blocked it. Then EDK'd the 230. Chucked the 100 M bag. Beautiful big rappel! Then, untied the 100 M bag, pulled from far back to improve the angle, and retrieved the ropes.

There was a long walk, but soon we came upon several more pour-overs, all bolted, more than we thought, maybe half-dozen? Was able to walk the near edge of the big wet pot hole to stay dry. Then just pulled/swung everyone over to dry land once they descended to just above the water. Stayed dry the whole day! The last rappel is 100 yds from the trailhead. Neat training day after a long Winter. Thanks for the info.

fh3.JPG
    Looking down into Frog Hollow from Mollies.

fh13.JPG
    Looking into the head of Frog Hollow from the side canyon.

fh7.JPG Looking up at the 260 ft rappel in Frog Hollow.

fh10.JPG
    One of the many pot holes and cave openings in Frog Hollow. Thanks for viewing.

20. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Did the first rap have a single piece of black webbing on it extending it? With the extension my 200 ft fiddle pull with 6 ft leader reached the bottom so we estimated straight off the bolts to be ~220.