Send us a suggestion!

FreezeFest XVII- 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

Tirrus forgot to mention his CARE entourage. He's not the only shutdown refugee driving down from the reef.

See you all around the fire.
    Cameron and ratagonia like this.
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

I probably can't make it until New Year's Eve, someone should post in this thread if there is snow... because if so, I might need to change my plans and come immediately.
    John Diener, Cameron and Don like this.
  3. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Passing through Hanksville now. Looks like no more than 2 inches of snow on the ground.
    Cameron and Dan Ransom like this.
  4. srosander01

srosander01

I'll be hitting a couple of the Hog Canyons this Sunday with a buddy. Anyone else planning on a Sunday Hog run? Anyone info on water or ice levels in the Hogs before we get down there would be helpful. Happy Freeze-festivus y'all!!
  5. SCard

SCard

I wish I could swing it, but my schedule won't permit it. I'd love to cook the surf and turf meal again for everyone. Ya'll have fun. I'll wear my Freezfest hoodie on New Years Day and be dreaming of the Black Hole.
    hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  6. Morgerator

Morgerator

I will be there too!
    Temps look cold and the canyons/friends are calling!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Cameron likes this.
  7. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

I’m leaving SLC really early Tuesday morning for The Black Hole. Anyone else going and want to carpool?
    LonePeak likes this.
  8. LonePeak

LonePeak

Thanks for the carpool Tues, that works great for me.

Still hoping to hear the latest on canyon and maybe road conditions in the area if anyone gets a chance to post. I guess the crew is planning to meet at the trailhead around 10 AM?
    Evan Christensen likes this.
  9. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

[​IMG]Hiking out from the Hogs
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Ram, EvergreenDean, Jenny and 5 others like this.
  10. SCard

SCard

Bummed I couldn't be there, but true to my word, I wore my "Freezefest Ten" hoodie, donned my canyoneering hat and went on a hike in the 20 degree mountains by my home. I hope all of you are safe and warm.

20190101_125503 (1).
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

Would be interested next time I'm sallying around out there in throwing-in/down on the Angel Cove idea (if it's convenient for you). Got the right stuff listed....
  12. Rick Pratt

Rick Pratt

Some day, I swear, I will join the merry band of fools in this epic adventure.
  13. Ram

Ram

FF XVII is in the books. Here are some basic stats......

It was a cold fest. Temps dipped into single digits one night and made the 40's one day.
    Standard was about 30's for a high, teens for a low.
    Some clouds, but mostly clear. The wind was minimal, being over 10 MPH only twice.
    Coldest day was January 1st, which may never have gotten much past 25 degrees and was one of the windy days, at least in the afternoon
    It snowed at Sandthrax twice. Once on the eve of the 27th, one the early AM of the 31st.
    Both snows were about a 1/2 inch. One time more snow at Santhrax than surrounding areas, one time more snow at the Hite area, than Sandthrax
    41 people attended. This is the lowest turnout in over a decade. The cold, good skiing up north and east and the way the calendar fell contributed.
    The average stay per person was longer than normal with many staying essentially the whole fest
    About a third of the participants were women, which is the norm.
    There were many first time participants, as usual
    People came from Washington, Oregon, California, Illinois, New Jersey, along with a larger #'s from Colorado than normal. Utah was below their norm.
    The Black Hole saw 18 folks descend the canyon on the 1st. More dry suits than wet suits, this year, but it was close, as usual.
    The Hole has seen between 20-30 descenders for over a decade, before this year, so this was also the lowest turnout in quite a while.
    The Hole was quite icy in the water and snow along the sides made normal bypasses impassable. Quite challenging.
    The snow in the early hours of the 31st led to a party fixing ropes on the exit in the PM of the 31st.
    The biggest gathering was New Year's Eve, around the fire.
    29 folks saw the new year in, first in the Azores all the way the Pacific time zone, as the stragglers went to bed.
    The sharing of food, a FF tradition, was in evidence again. Basia, Don, Amanda and Cody leading the way
    Lots of new friendships made, old friendships renewed and I suspect an excellent collection of stories and photos to come soon.
    Thanks to all who came down and "played" in the canyons.

Ram
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  14. LonePeak

LonePeak

Excellent. More crazy fun! I'll PM you.

On a not-unrelated note, I thought the Black Hole lived up to its reputation. Thanks everyone for making it happen, fixing lines, breaking ice sheets, and sharing food, rides, & stories. I'll confess that Led Zeppelin's raucous, Nordic-themed "Immigrant Song" was playing through my head half the canyon.

Ah-ah, ah! Ah-ah, ah!
    We come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the midnight sun, where the [cold] springs flow
    The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands
    To fight the horde, and sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore.
    EvergreenDean, Kuenn and Ram like this.
  15. Ram

Ram

A mystery guest arrived on Saturday the 29th. Reunited, at FreezeFest for a day, were the team that explored and made 1st descents of Poe, Kaleidoscope (not Choprock), East Baker (AKA Tight-Asp) just a few years shy of 40 years ago. Jenny Hall (now West) and Mike Bogart made canyoneering history together. Jenny and I surprised and set up Mike, to regale us, at the evenings campfire, on the 29th, with stories of the planning and execution of the first descents of Heaps and Imlay.

Mike and Jenny are thrilled with the direction the sport has gone. Jenny is a ghosting expert and Mike has no limit of interest in the new techniques, which he also lauds.

Here they are in No Kidding, on the 29th of December. Just plain awesome being graced by their company
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Wow...great!
  17. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'm bummed to have missed that. But alas, Baja California was calling. You want some wild, unexplored territory, there is plenty there. I'll bet I saw dozens of peaks that have never been ascended.
  18. Morgerator

Morgerator

Such a great fest!
  19. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Bummed that I missed out this year.
  20. pynkchink

pynkchink

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Jenny, SCard, Dan Ransom and 3 others like this.