Send us a suggestion!

FreezeFest XVII- 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ram

Ram

Likely numerous opportunities to stay dry, all week. Go for it....and yes, the Hogs are usually one of those places
  2. Ram

Ram

If you come from Washington in December, I will go to Washington in July....wait....I do that already. Look forward to all the folks "braving" new experiences.
  3. Ram

Ram

A reminder....firewood. Lotsa firewood. Headed out soon. Safe drive everyone. THAT is the most dangerous part of the journey.
    Mr.Ring and Don like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Plenty of DRY canyons to do in the area... plenty of disposable clothes helpful.

Tom
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Not coming. I'll be attempting to storm the US border while you guys are in the Black Hole. Hopefully my passport works, otherwise I'll be looking for a tunnel under the new wall.
  6. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Just bring a couple potshots and some ascenders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  7. Don

Don Never nude.

In the paper-rock-scissors of border controls ladder beats wall every time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    ratagonia and Dan Ransom like this.
  8. LonePeak

LonePeak

I'll probably arrive in the evening of Sun Dec 30th and stay to swim the much-anticipated Black Hole for the first time. If anyone has a full 600' spool and big rap & ascending skills, I've got a plan (with contingencies) for Angel Cove. Otherwise I have interest in Angel Slot, Middle Lep, Monkey business, or whatever else others are planning for NY Eve. Look forward to seeing ya'll again!
    Kuenn likes this.
  9. LonePeak

LonePeak

Now Wunderground is showing 3-5 in of snow in Hanksville on NY Eve, and maybe a bit of precipitation the 25-26th :( That could really limit plans. Would anyone who gets a signal or comes back from FF throughout the week mind describing conditions here? Thanks.
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. It's still too early to rely on weather forecast for New Year's eve. They generally aren't that accurate that far out. Wait a few days and see if the forecast changes.
  11. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Around what time is the Black Hole run happening on new years day? Last year I showed up before anyone was there.
  12. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Is anyone interested in a dry canyon New Year's day? We were thinking of coming down, but my wife says no way to the Black Hole.
  13. Don

Don Never nude.

There's always a group out doing something dry on New Year's day. Only concern might be people leaving that morning to get to work on Wednesday, but I'll bet you'll find someone around the campfire for a dry New Year's day.

14. ratagonia

ratagonia

The "usual time" is 10 am at the Black Hole parking lot.

Tom
  15. Erin

Erin

I’m missing out because I’ll be in Key West this year. I told Jenny to moon everyone for me, and then I thought, “Wait... what kind of message is that sending?”

I’ll look forward to your trip/condition reports! I’d definitely like to hear which canyons are wet or dry right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. qedcook

qedcook

I'm bailing for the Hog Canyons and this trip. It's going to be just a bit too cold for us. Sorry, but let me know how it goes.
  17. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

The weather forecast looks good for New Years and New Years Eve.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.3744&lon=-110.7117#.XCQoN2kpAwA
    LonePeak likes this.
  18. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Looks colder than the last few years too, hopefully that means ice is setting up in the Black Hole!
    Teeeeva and LonePeak like this.
  19. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

FYI:

3 inches of snow on the ground in Capitol Reef, and it’s not letting up. I wonder what snow the Henries are absorbing before this thing hits N wash...

Should be a fantastic FreezeFest. See ya’ll this weekend.
    Dan Ransom likes this.
  20. Don

Don Never nude.

Cody and I managed to talk co-worker (and Iraq war buddy) Brad into trying FF this year, and my son Everest is coming for his first.
    During the planning phase they kept seeing daytime 50s and nighttime 30s. Now they're both questioning the logic.

Has FF ever been about logic?

ratagonia likes this.