Send us a suggestion!

FreezeFest XVII- 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Steve D

Steve D

Hey all, this is my first post on the forum, I’ve been lurking for the better part of the year. I’d like to come along for some canyons during freeze fest, I have all of the necessary gear and skills to hold my own. I’m not really sure how it all works, is this event open to anyone with the knowledge and gear or invite only?
    I will be in North Wash the 30th, 31st and 1st. If it’s ok for me to join you, I’d be very grateful for the opportunity to meet some new people with the same interests and a change of pace from the usual conditions. I live in Colorado so I look forward to the cold weather/winter challenge!
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

FF is open to anyone stupid.... I mean brave enough to come. Just show up at the sandthrax cg find a spot to set up camp and join us around the fire. As you can see a few plans get made before hand, but the majority is done the night before around the fire with a few people throwing out different ideas and the group sorts itself out into a couple different outings, just be vocal about joining whichever trip interests you.
    Ram, Don, carol and 3 others like this.
  3. nathanslc

nathanslc

I'll be there. Most likely Saturday.
    Morgerator, Ram and ratagonia like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

We say "foolish". Seems to capture the deliberate nature of it better.

(edit: As does BRAVE! )

T
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Ram, Don, Anthony Dye and 2 others like this.
  5. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

I really want to and am planning on joining you crazy lot this year!!! I will probably stay for 2 days of canyons before joining my gf and dogs for tamer desert wanders. Just one quick question: are there usually folks that do dry canyons during the FF, this will be my first FF and I am a self identified baby when it comes to being cold hahaha so I am hoping to ease into the "foolishness" by staying mostly dry this year and seeing how that goes. If dry canyons aren't typically on the menu then I am game to dip in just want to be prepared mentally for the suffering. See you all down there
    Ram likes this.
  6. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

Also depending on what date the guys/gals that want to do the Hog circuit decide upon I am up for the challenge as well!!! let me know!!
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Dry canyons tend to get done perhaps the most. Many people save their immersion desires for Jan 1st. Even on Jan 1st, there is usually a non-Black-Hole trip, Doctor Alex.

Tom
    Ram and Alex Chagovetz like this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

There is plenty of time around the campfire at Freeze Fest... some would say too much time. One long-standing tradition is that persons who have received their Doctorate in the last six months give a 15 minute talk about their thesis topic. Not as critical an audience as the PHDer recently presented before...

I look forward to your talk, Alex.

Tom
  9. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

I would vote the 29th
    Ram likes this.
  10. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

It would be a HIGHLY effective way to ease everyone to sleep that night! I will make sure I bring the projector so all may revel in the glory of PowerPoint fluorescent images
    Ram, Dan Ransom and ratagonia like this.
  11. Bosco

Bosco

PowerPoints in the desert - I'm sold on it now!
    Ram and Dan Ransom like this.
  12. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

Any chance someone is leaving FF and heading to Salt Lake on either the 29th or 30th after we finish canyons on either of those days? And if so would that person(s) maybe let fellow freezer hitch a ride? Happy to provide gas $ and entertaining stories :)
  13. Jenny

Jenny

Hahahaha! PowerPoints in the desert!

I truly believe that this is what was going on at the Great Gallery in Barrier Canyon (and else where, as well).

Just imagine it; the Ancient Ones, having traveled great distances, sitting on logs facing the high wall, in their finest robes, full bellies from a prepared feast, and with firelight blazing, this show of Points of Power is revealed before their eyes, and with a tale to tell to go with it all.

Bring it on! There's a perfect wall for a modern show, just around the corner from camp. Where there once was a beautiful lil' granary (sadly now destroyed).
    Kuenn, Erin, Ram and 1 other person like this.
  14. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

I love how excited the PowerpPowe made folks but unfortunately I was mostly joking as I don't actually have a portable projector. Sorry to disappoint, never would have imagined such enthusiasm
  15. Jenny

Jenny

Ahhhh, so you are the one who began the idea, Alex. Thank you!
    Ram, ratagonia and Alex Chagovetz like this.
  16. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

Always happy to help ;)
    Ram and ratagonia like this.
  17. qedcook

qedcook

Sounds like the 29th is a day that at least 3-4 people can do the Hog canyons. Let's tentatively plan on that.
    Ram and Alex Chagovetz like this.
  18. Alex Chagovetz

Alex Chagovetz

cant't wait to get our "Hog slaughter" on!!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Ram likes this.
  19. Bosco

Bosco

I will be joining you all for the camping at the very least. I haven't ventured into investing in a wet or drysuit yet but it would be great to meet everyone. Looking forward to it! Hog's on the 29th though?
    Don and Ram like this.
  20. Mr.Ring

Mr.Ring

Howdy folks! I haven't posted here before, but been following for quite a while. I'm planning on driving down from Washington the 26th, join in on all the fun! Do as many canyons as I can in a week.
    Don and Ram like this.