Send us a suggestion!

FreezeFest XVI- a thread of its own

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Ram, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

Miss Piggy sounds great. I'm only going to be there three days, 30-1. Thought about Sandthrax too (which I've never done) but I'm having trouble lining up a # 6 Camalot, much less the two Tom recommends and not sure my Big Bro would work. I think the rest of it sounds like it is probably within my ability. I might be pretty whupped for the next day, but it's not like I'd be doing two hard stemmers in a row.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have two #6s I will bring, though I don't really feel up for a run through ST.

T
    A.J. and Tom Collins like this.
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I'd be up for a ST run if Tom brings the cams.
    A.J. likes this.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Cool! Anyone else?
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have two 6's, but haven't seen my 5 in a while. It is good to have a 5 at the bottom to keep the rope out of the way. You guyz got a 5?

Two 6's now hidden in the truck, so I won't forget to pack them.

T
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

I've got a 5.
    Tom Collins and ratagonia like this.
  7. Ram

Ram

8. Erin

Erin

My friend Debra and I are heading down from SLC on the 31st. Our itinerary is not ambitious; we mostly just wanted to ring in the new year around the campfire on our way down to Phoenix. :)

We are planning an Epic Blarney on the 31st starting around noon. If you are looking for a late start/easy day, you are welcome to join us! We can promise you lots of giggling, sweet dance moves, and maybe even an appearance by the canyon goblin and some accidental mooning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

All right, finally recruited someone crazy enough to join me. But we're not leaving until early Saturday morning. What time do we need to arrive in order to go out with others on Saturday? Is a 9 am arrival at the campground early enough or will people already be gone by then?
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Depends on what canyons are being done that day, people start rolling out around 7-730 for longer canyons/farther away, 8am is your best bet for catching the largest number of people, but you've still got a decent chance of catching someone at 9am, any later though and you'll probably miss everyone. If you want to aim for Sandthrax that day then a 9am arrival would be fine, we'd have plenty of time to do it plus a second shorter canyon afterwards. I can do some scouting the first day I'm there and then find somewhere with cell service to let you know if its iced over or not.
    BaJenkins likes this.
  11. Tyler

Tyler

Can't wait to finally do this. Heading down Saturday with @Bill
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

We might have to get up a little earlier/drive faster then!
  13. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Not sure if we can really call it freezefest this year
    EB9CC67B-3C72-4C99-AE04-306A26C4C1F7.
    danf likes this.
  14. UtahNich

UtahNich

I'm tentatively planning on camping at Star Springs, and I've been wanting to go down both Woody and Hog 4 for a while now. Things are a little up in the air now for me, but what days are you planning on doing them, and would there be any chance I could join?
  15. Morgerator

Morgerator

Excited to join in here with my canyon buddy! We will meet the group Saturday night and make some plans with new friends for Sunday slots and Black Hole Monday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Dan Ransom likes this.
  16. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

How thick of wet-suits are people using for the black hole? Does anyone double up on wet-suits?
  17. Marlowe

Marlowe

Hey yall I wont be able to make it this year, im freezing on Holbox island in Mexico. A good friend is stuck in Richfield and needs a radiator, if anyone is passing through and willing to transport it I believe there is compensation involved. Call +1 (858) 322-7257.
    Marlowe
  18. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

What a fantastic time!!!!! I loved every moment of it!
    Ram, Bill and Dan Ransom like this.
  19. Lisa

Lisa

I had not planned on going to Freezefest this year but nostalgia hit. I simply had to be around the fire with my friends. The feeling was irresistible. It carried me right out to the garage and I packed my Sprinter van to drive four hours south. I used to love attending this fest, but have been spending winter on a sailboat in Mexico and Polynesia. That’s another story…

It was magical to return to Freezefest this year. So many of the same people still attend as when I used to go, and I felt that same togetherness and warmth. Freezefest brings out people with the best attitudes, those who relish the intensity of icy swims and the beauty of snow-filled slot canyons.

Thank you, friends, it was short but extraordinary.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. A.J.

A.J.

Thanks to everyone for making it a great FreezeFest! Special thanks to the great crews we had in the canyons; enjoyed meeting many new people. Thanks also goes to Don and Cody for their dutch oven treats, the others who shared yummy food and drinks, to Ram for thinking up the original idea and carrying on the tradition, and to Tom for his efforts in leading the fun canyons and being my buddy through the Black Hole. Was great to spend time with everyone! Look forward to crossing paths again in the future...
    hlscowboy, Ram, Jenny and 4 others like this.