Send us a suggestion!

Freezefest XV

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Tom Collins, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

Okay, I'm in. I've got the shifts traded. Now somebody teach me how to stay warm. No problema outside the canyon, I just need in canyon tips.

Here's what I'm thinking: My thick wetsuit (it's either 5 or 6 mm), with a 2 mm full shirt and 2 mm neo shorts over it. I've got a full neo hood, maybe even put a hat on top of it. 5 mm booties inside my canyon boots have always been surprisingly warm for me.

Does that seem reasonable to the veterans? Remember I am usually the coldest one in any group I'm with, but I don't have much trust for drysuits (nor do I want to buy one.)

Also, what about hands? What do you wear? I've heard something about dish gloves with neo gloves over them or something? Do you duct tape your wrists?

Also, worth bringing an ice tool and crampons or no? I've seen a lot of snow and ice in pictures.

Tom- I probably need another set of green neo booties. If I order those tomorrow can you get them to me before Freezefest?

For tent heaters, better to go electric with generator or propane?

Anyone interested in driving with me? Leaving Salt Lake the afternoon of the 29th, canyons on 30, 31, and 1. Drive home after the Black Hole on the 1st.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Canyonero said: Okay, I'm in. I've got the shifts traded. Now somebody teach me how to stay warm. No problema outside the canyon, I just need in canyon tips.

T==> AWESOME

Here's what I'm thinking: My thick wetsuit (it's either 5 or 6 mm), with a 2 mm full shirt and 2 mm neo shorts over it. I've got a full neo hood, maybe even put a hat on top of it. 5 mm booties inside my canyon boots have always been surprisingly warm for me.

T==> ELBOW AND KNEE PADS HELP TOO.

Does that seem reasonable to the veterans? Remember I am usually the coldest one in any group I'm with, but I don't have much trust for drysuits (nor do I want to buy one.)

t==> EAT COOKIES

Also, what about hands? What do you wear? I've heard something about dish gloves with neo gloves over them or something? Do you duct tape your wrists?

T==> DISH GLOVES UNDER MY SUPER GRIP GLOVES WORK QUITE WELL. TUCK THEM CAREFULLY INTO YOUR WETSUIT SLEEVES HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.

Also, worth bringing an ice tool and crampons or no? I've seen a lot of snow and ice in pictures.

T==> RARELY NEEDED, BUT NO REASON TO NOT THROW THEM IN THE CAR

Tom- I probably need another set of green neo booties. If I order those tomorrow can you get them to me before Freezefest?

T==> ALL SIZES IN STOCK. 2 DAYS FROM HERE TO THERE. OVERSIZE SHOES HELPFUL. WATERPROOF LINER OF SOME SORT OVER A WOOLIE UNDER THE THICK NEO WORKS FOR ME.

For tent heaters, better to go electric with generator or propane?

T==> GENERATORS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. PROPANE WORKS. DOUBLE SLEEPING BAG AND DOUBLE PAD PROBABLY MORE IMPORTANT. AND SOMETIMES IT IS NOT REALLY ALL THAT COLD.

Anyone interested in driving with me? Leaving Salt Lake the afternoon of the 29th, canyons on 30, 31, and 1. Drive home after the Black Hole on the 1st.

T==> GLAD TO HAVE YOU THERE, TO BE THE BOTTOM ON THE UNDERWATER SHOULDER STAND.

T
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Might not be too bad with that hood on. It's a pretty serious hood.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Hey Tom- The Green booties are the XLs, right? There's no colors on the order form!

And by "super grip" and you talking about those "powergrip" gloves you sell at CUSA?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes. Size XL has the green sole treatment. PowerGrip - correct.

Tom
  6. bruce from bryce

bruce from bryce

7. bruce from bryce

bruce from bryce

that was an epic FF and my last. Truly a great time with any type of weather. Would luv to have been able to attend especially since it appeared that conditions were weatherly perfect. Let's see lots of pics, please!