Send us a suggestion!

Freezefest XV

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Tom Collins, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

3. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

BUMP - 7 weeks and counting. It will be here before you know it. Since I was stuck in Florida last year, I am anxious to get back...
    Tom Collins and nathanslc like this.
  4. nathanslc

nathanslc

Chambers ready! Ram, Dan, and no way im going without Wes!
    Wes1, Dan Ransom and Ram like this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

If driving down the morning of, what time would one need to arrive if they hypothetically developed a mental illness and decided to come?
    Bill and Ram like this.
  6. Ram

Ram

:twothumbs:

I assume you refer to the January 1st Black Hole? Not any of the 6 days before the first? ;) Or the days after the first?

If so, we meet at the trail head at 10 AM and you miss us most years if not hoofing it by 10:30.:D

If you refer to any of the other days before or after the first, 9 to 9:30 AM is often the departure time for "full-ish" day trips, although many drive to Ticaboo, Roost, Cap Reef etc., earlier. And many will have a "walking rest day" starting easier local fare, fashionably late, say 11 ish, occasionally later

WARNING.......Those who do the BH on the first once, OFTEN come back again and again:tongue::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold:

Take that as a sign that the closing of the mental institutions in the 1980's was a bad idea, if you like:help::help::help: OR that it is not that bad at all and great fun
    :twothumbs::twothumbs::twothumbs:
    Bill, ratagonia and townsend like this.
  7. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I sure hope I can make it.
    This time I'm going to bring my new drysuit that doesn't leak. :twothumbs:
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

@Canyonero I'm still working out some things, but currently the 30/31st is my weekend to work so I was just planning on going down Tue-Fri since I didn't want to drive down and back twice. I'm trying to trade the weekend so I can stay down there for the whole thing, but if I can't you want someone to carpool down with on Monday 1st (assuming you do decide to go)?
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'm slowly acclimating to the idea of going down and trying this once. At least then I can be an informed whiner. And I figure water can only get so cold. Right now I'm scheduled to work until 10 pm on the 29th, have the 30th and 31st off, and am scheduled to work at 6 pm on the 1st. So I'm considering a pretty quick trip. I'd really like to be there to do the Black Hole so I feel I got the real FreezeFest experience, but that shift on the 1st is going to be tough to trade. If I can swap into an earlier shift on the 29th I could potentially drive down then and drive back the evening of the 1st. Not sure I want to be away any longer than that. If that works with your timeline, I'd be more than happy to share a ride and a tent and whatever else short of a sleeping bag. I might even get a little tent heater to help dry stuff out but I'm too paranoid about CO to run it while I'm asleep.
    Ram, Rapterman and townsend like this.
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I'm working on a series of trades right now that changed my plans for that week, if they all go through I'm gonna be down there 28th-1st.
    Ram likes this.
  11. Mike Zampino

Don't forget to PayPal me the $20 entry fee for FreezeFest. :smuggrin:

Isn't Dec 1st FreezeFest Fools Day?
  12. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

In all seriousness, has anyone looked into the cost of renting a few portajohns for the event since it has gotten so big? It has been done for some gathering at places like Hidden Splendor which are more remote than North Wash.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

There are permanent Portajohns just 5 miles down the road. My experience at FF is that making the morning run is a pleasure, as it involves sitting briefly in a warm car. Some bring their own bucket toilet, and I usually bring mine if I remember. I don't remember anyone wandering off to do their morning doo doo. Those who are new to the area are clearly told that doing so is an abomination.

Bringing in Portajohns would also make this a managed event, which requires a permit from the BLM and a substantial fee.

Tom
    Jenny and Ram like this.
  14. Mike Zampino

Plus there are restrooms at Ticaboo, Hite, and Hanksville if you are doing Canyons in those areas.
    Jenny, Ram and ratagonia like this.
  15. ratagonia

ratagonia

You're taking care of the toilets, warm-up tent and BLM permit and fees this year?
    Don and Ram like this.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

bump. this thread might be the most informative - the first two pages of this one might have the best collection of beta - for ones new to the madness!!!!

Tom
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

A few additional small items:

1. IF you end up running out of food at FF, ask Ram or me for some. We have plenty, and am happy to share.

2. For those coming from Colorado: On Black Hole Day, if the choice is between doing bowls or eating breakfast, eat breakfast.

3. My personal word of advice for Black Holers is, from the moment you wake up until you start hiking, eat. Shove as many calories in your face as you possibly can, especially fat and protein.

Tom
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

And that, @madman_lee , is what Experience teaches you!
    madman_lee likes this.
  19. Skyloaf

Skyloaf

This sounds awesome
  20. Canyonero

Canyonero

Is Ram bringing pulled pork sandwiches again?