Send us a suggestion!

Freezefest XV

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Tom Collins, Nov 17, 2016.

1. LonePeak

LonePeak

Any reports on the snow and ice conditions in general or in specific canyons? Thanks
  2. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

I drove through Hanksville on Tuesday. It looks like snow hit the Henry's and petered out. I saw only tiny patches on north facing slopes through the southern end of the swell. I predict little to no snow in north wash this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. EvergreenDean

Happy New Year! Freezefest was anything but this year, with my thermometer reading 47 as we entered the Black Hole. We had to search to find ice in only a couple of spots. Most folks said they got overheated at some point rather than chilled. A great day was had by all and I can't wait to see the pics that I hope will start coming in today. New years eve was a raucous good time with a big fire, glowing bocce ball tournament, streaking, snake pranks and more. Thanks to all who made it so fun, and biggest thanks to Ram for setting this all in motion fifteen years ago!
    Kevin and Bill like this.
  4. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I got a few keepers :twothumbs: I'll get more posted up here within the next few days.
    Good times!

DSC01337.
  5. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Cody looks stoked while Rick looks terrified.

Sorry Mike.

FreezeFest2.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  6. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

7. Ram

Ram

Assault and Battery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kevin, MrAdam, danf and 4 others like this.
  8. EvergreenDean

Great pics!!!!

9. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Very nice Ram.

I put these together and find them strangely hypnotic ....
    FFIce2.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Kevin, MrAdam, Ram and 4 others like this.
  10. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Black Hole group shots.

DSC01514. DSC06190.
    Dan Ransom, Jenny, nathanslc and 11 others like this.
  11. danf

danf

Every trip Kelly and I make to the Plateau is memorable, but our first Freezefest might be the new high water mark. It was great to finally put faces to names, and to spend the end of the year in such excellent company. A huge thanks for everyone’s hospitality – contributions like the massive firewood haul, fireworks, Kahlua brownies, bocce ball, and donuts make it clear why the “bad idea that caught on” was such a great idea to keep going.

Really glad @MrAdam convinced us to go – ringing in 2017 with canyons and bacon bombs with you fine folks was a far better idea than counting the year down with 3.2% beers in a Moab hotel hot tub.

Looking forward to seeing people again next year, if not sooner.
  12. Ram

Ram

I heard someone locked their keys in their car after the Hole. Who was it and how was it resolved? Not the first time this has happened.
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0412last/index8b.htm

Dan, enjoyed meeting you and everyone else too.

46 people, 5 dogs. First time under 50 people in 8 years ( I have no official count from last year)
    The calendar and the day of the week tends to drive visitation. It was very light early in the week, but the last day or two had as large a group at one time, as any time in the past FF's. Visitors came from Canada, Illinois, Minnesota, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada at least. Where else?
    It did not have the highest temps at FF ever, but it was the most consistently warm one, with low winds too. I vote it the most comfortable one ever. Coldest night was the 26th, although, the night of the first, as I was leaving had a brisk breeze and dropping temps. The group was heavy on returnee's and a bit lighter on first timers than normal. A diverse group of about 8 folks were there for their 9th FF. Ten year club for a whole bunch of folks next year. The BLM overstocked the Hog Springs bathrooms for us. We still left it empty. :poop::poop::poop::poop:

Thanks to everyone who did so much to make it a fun, safe and great time among friends, new and old:twothumbs::twothumbs::twothumbs::twothumbs:
    Dan Ransom, Jenny, Bill and 8 others like this.
  13. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

That was Davendork. Eventually I drove him to Hite, where we found a light on in the residential homes. Rick knocked on the door and a friendly face opened the door, trying to make sense of Rick's total gibberish explanation of what the hell he was doing. Eventually, Rick was able to use his landline to call a nice guy from Blanding who came out and shimmied the door, after we tried everything possible with items in our own cars (including pillaging the aluminum stays out of my rather expensive pack... haha).

Total cost? $100, plus a big fat new year's day tip for the guys trouble. Malia hung with us in Hite for a few hours while we made some food and laughed at Rick who was still stuck wearing wet underwear, felt like a fitting punishment.

Good times.
    danf, MrAdam, Bill and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Awesome meeting you guys, some of those campfires were straight ridiculous. Forgot how fun 7 hours around a campfire can be.
    danf and EvergreenDean like this.
  15. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

I only shot video this year, hoping to have an edit up soon. Unfortunately the conditions were pretty mellow, so the video lacks the real crazy footage I would've preferred. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic trip. Here's a few still shots from the video:

Black Hole Dan. Black Hole Kevin. Chambers-1. Chambers-2. Happy Narrows. Little Egypt.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  16. Kevin

Kevin

Dan, I don't see the images. Is it just me?
  17. EvergreenDean

Nope. These are broken

18. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

looks like a weird forum issue, i uploaded directly now.
  19. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Nice shots Dan!
    Nice work on the keys Rick!
  20. ratagonia

ratagonia

Only shoots video. Still gets the best (still) shots. My friend, Dan Ransom!

(except maybe Bill. He can shoot too.)
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017