Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash FreezeFest XIII Trip Reports (collection)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ratagonia, Jan 1, 2015.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

We came, we saw, we canyoned, we got snowed on, and most of us ran away... A place for trip reports from FF XIII, Dec 2014 to Jan 2015.

Here's old friends and new in Boss Howg -

FF13Hog1E.

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      285 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Jenny, Rapterman, Chris Grove and 2 others like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Earlier this morning...

3. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

I am starting a list of things I learned from my first Freezefest. First the canyoneering community is a wonderful group of people, the canyons in N Wash are very skinny and the folks dress in torn and shredded clothes. So much fun!!!
    Ram, Jenny and Rapterman like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

... straight from the parking lot of Stan's Burger Shak...

Ram, Jenny, Rapterman and 2 others like this.
  5. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

We were on our way up to hike in Goblin Valley today (January 1st). Idaho crew was in, Chris Hood, Heather, Peter, and Marigold the dog. As we got up towards the Swell, something funny happened. All the snow disappeared! I've seen it the opposite way several times. Lots of snow on the Swell near the 70, nothing at North Wash. Not this time. I thought we better get these guys a more "real" Freeze Fest experience. So we headed to Zero G. We had a freakin blast. New Years Day salvaged.

The Crew

P1030723.JPG

The captain goes down with the ship
    P1030729.JPG

P1030737.JPG

Loud pops and creaks, this ice ain't gonna last

P1030746.JPG

Told ya

P1030752.JPG

The final narrows

P1030753.JPG

Last downclimb. Peter went for the full head dunk, then we booked it to the cars.

P1030763.JPG
    Mountaineer, Ram, John Diener and 7 others like this.
  6. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

Mini-Black Hole! Nice save.
    Ram, Jenny and ratagonia like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Ram Sums it UP

Tyler, Jenny, Rapterman and 2 others like this.
  8. bucky

bucky

It was nice to spend time with friends old and new at FreezeFest this year. I lasted 5 nights. On Dec 30th, Pete from CO and Tom Collins joined me for the day. The recent dusting of snow greatly hindered passage on the steep approach, so we bailed on our original objective, stashed the packs, and went scrambling around:
    [​IMG]
    Tom emerges from a rabbithole:
    [​IMG]
    Photo below with some pretty striping in the Kayenta. The slabs shown right are EZ 4th class when dry, but with a dusting of snow, we found them too slippery and consequential for prudent travel:
    [​IMG]
    Pete with the Dulfersitz:
    [​IMG]
    Glad we brought the bolt kit LOL JK
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everybody! I left a nice new bottle of scotch, buried in snow, near the firepit. Should you find it, enjoy it with my compliments.
    Erin, Jenny, John Styrnol and 3 others like this.
  9. roylnn

roylnn

Q: How do you know when it's Winter?
    A: When the Poles are tilted! P1010553.JPG Batia, along with Mike and Esther, showing some Chicago style in Razorback. She and her husband, Jersey, traveled all the way from Chicago to meet Tom & Ram and feed us yummy pirogi and sausages.
  10. Jenny

Jenny

Well done!

I am thrilled to hear that some FreezeFesters rallied around these first time festers from the far north and a "freakin' blast" was shared.

I wager you all have the first canyon descent of this New Year.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Had a great time in Hogs 1 & 2 with Spidey and his talented kids. Here is Caleb on one of the raps...

12. Ram

Ram

Tom wanted this post included in this thread too

Hi Mike! my name is Jerzy,I would love to join you guys for this event FF. When is a meeting day?I mean end of December? I'd like to know...Thxs.J.

We get inquiries about the Fest often. We answer and forget about it. But Jerzy and Basha? They proved to be unforgettable and the stuff of legend. So its 11:20 PM maybe around the 27th. They show up at the fire. They know no one. They have lurked on the Collective for years. They bring food to feed everyone. They have resumes that don't go much beyond Pine Creek, but they are game. The way and speed that they set up their tent and other things hints at depth of experience, likely in the alpine. They are recent emigrates, From Poland to America, Chicago specifically. They drove the 1,800 miles from Chicago to join this FreezeFest....after they leave the fire to attend to setting up camp, we the assembled around the fire are stunned. The power of the Internet. Over the coming days, they integrate into several parties and do many a canyon and bring an energy uniquely theirs to the fest. You just never know who is gonna show up.

PS Erin shows up days later for her 2nd fest. She lives in Arizona but has driven directly from Chicago too.
    ratagonia, Erin, Chris Grove and 2 others like this.
  13. Marlowe

Marlowe

image.

Camping in the cold? Swimming through frozen water? Is that what you guys call fun?! I am bummed I missed the pirogis and snow but glad I got to have a few memorable days out in the desert with all the fine folk who showed up. Heres the only photo I snapped after a great day in the dantes as the light faded on our chances to eat fresh pizza.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Though Bryce and I missed the formal gathering, we definitely froze our own fest. Full swimmer, no neo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420437201.048853.
    Louis Johnson, Jenny, Ram and 2 others like this.
  15. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

BRRR...keep those clothes bagged for the post trauma!
  16. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

That was the idea.

I've been in some cold water in my day, but that takes the cake. Yankee Doodle of all places. Swimmer? Who knew
    Mike likes this.
  17. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Huge floods this September dramatically altered the canyon. Yankee has more of a rocky bottom than a sandy one. I was really surprised to see the huge amounts of rock scoured out of places creating new water holding capacity. At least 3 possible swims these days when its full.
    John Styrnol and ratagonia like this.
  18. Ram

Ram

Skin is the fastest drying material. A good solution if there are not too many pots with water
  19. Kevin

Kevin

Bummed we missed FF this year, wife was sick with bronchitis. Looks like a fun time, that's quite a bit of snow! Did anyone stick around after the 1st?
  20. skeeter

skeeter A holed piston is just an ashtray

Freeze fest was an absolute blast. A trip that came together rather spontaneously for our group and despite many bumps in the road we all had a great few days of canyon adventure. It started New Years eve, I had just got off work at 6 o clock- truck was packed a prompt departure of 10 o clock and we were traveling down I-84. I missed ringing in the new year passed out in the passenger seat getting my 3 hours of beauty sleep. The other half of our group (Kit and Cameron) reported the roads were a mess as they settled in to Hanksville Inn waiting for us to arrive in the morning. The roads were mostly clear the whole way, as we got closer to our destination snow began to show on the road however. We got into town at around 6:30 disappointed to see the whole town blanketed.

We decided to go out to Sandthrax campground to see if there was any fun to be had, with the amount of snow it seemed unlikely. On the way out we saw a convoy of cars heading back toward town with familiar faces. It's funny, though I have never met these folks but only read countless of their trip reports I think Jenny was the first we saw then Ram. We decided to turn around and follow them back in to town. Back at the gas station we introduced ourselves though most were heading home a small group was still game. We were invited to do a hike in Goblin Valley though it wasn't a canyon we were up for pretty much anything. We left town in a line of cars and upon reaching the turn off for Goblin a new plan was formed, "Zero G".

We made our approach an unlikely location for a canyon. All suited up we began the hike up, when the canyon presents itself it's quite spectacular. A quick hike up to view the double arch formation was well worth the 100 or so yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The canyon was an absolute hoot! Slipping and sliding, ice cracking, popping and breaking. The ice only stayed stable for the first few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water was cold but the pace kept us plenty warm. Before we knew it we were at the final downclimb wedged between our chest and back, feet dangling in the air. It was already apparent there was no ice left at the bottom and we were going for a swim. Safe at the bottom we spent time smashing ice and each sharing our own excitement of what we had just accomplished. It had taken 2 hours to run through Zero G.

[​IMG]

A quick run back to warm clothes and a celebratory Idaho grade beer. The sun was out and the temp was perfect. We decided to try Moab for our next location. A quick call for a weather report ended up being more difficult than expected. Moab was a ghost town, "let's call Safeway, they should answer". The lady at safeway confused by our inquiry replied " well it's dry in town" Boom! We're heading to Moab determined to keep this trip going. Peter from Colorado is in. The others are heading back their own separate ways. I can't thank Chris and Mike enough for guiding us through Zero G that was really nice of you guys, what a great community and we got our New years day canyon which probably wouldn't of happened. Thank you Thank you