Send us a suggestion!

FreezeFest XI Dec. 26th-Jan.whenever??

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

I looked over the FreezeFest list and it seems to have stood the test of time. I have enjoyed the company of a fantastic collection of folks over the years. What I like best about it, is one can just show up. Total open invitation. There are a lot of folks who are great friends and regular partners now, who I met as "drop ins" at FreezeFest. I wonder who that next close friend is, as we start into our 2nd decade of..."THE BAD IDEA THAT CAUGHT ON"

FreezeFest XI

Lots of folks have come up with their own systems. Anybody wish add ideas and systems? Who is planning on making it this year? How many FF's for you? Ram

The List 1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly 2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and doesn't take up much room 3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm 4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next to your sleeping arrangements, works well 5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Ca't bring too many. 6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours. 7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must 8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab. 9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM 10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the Michelin Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes 11-Hot breakfasts. 12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed. 13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective diet. 14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house, before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold 15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one goes on the feet, in the morning 16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice and cozy 17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is great body armor in the tight world of many a canyon. 18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By day 4, a suit and some socks have dried. 19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to -50 below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and fashionable too. 20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in the car prevent freezer burn. 21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet. 22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the vehicle. Critical! 23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe fire 24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent 25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper 26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the canyon 27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first hour, as it is often not needed the rest of the day 28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere! 29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as the anticipation 30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part. 31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth their weight in gold 32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side. 33-Go ahead, eat some more! 34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of being only outside. 35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen 36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places. 37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in. 38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring seasons 39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer 40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year. 41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around. 42-When its over, a hot shower, loving wife and 2 pretty cool kids welcome me home.
  2. Sounds awesome Ram!

Can I get to the camp on a road bike? How long after the first will there be folks hanging around?

George On Dec 7, 2012 12:09 PM, "RAM" adkramoo@aol.com> wrote:

> **
    > I looked over the FreezeFest list and it seems to have stood the test of > time. I have enjoyed the company of a fantastic collection of folks over > the years. What I like best about it, is one can just show up. Total open > invitation. There are a lot of folks who are great friends and regular > partners now, who I met as "drop ins" at FreezeFest. I wonder who that next > close friend is, as we start into our 2nd decade of..."THE BAD IDEA THAT > CAUGHT ON"
    FreezeFest XI
    Lots of folks have come up with their own systems. Anybody wish add ideas > and systems? Who is planning on making it this year? How many FF's for you? > Ram
    The List > 1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly > 2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and > doesn't take up much room > 3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm > 4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next > to > your sleeping arrangements, works well > 5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Ca't bring too many. > 6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours. > 7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must > 8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab. > 9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM > 10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the > Michelin > Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes > 11-Hot breakfasts. > 12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed. > 13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective > diet. > 14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house, > before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold > 15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one > goes on the feet, in the morning > 16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice > and > cozy > 17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The > occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is > great > body > armor in the tight world of many a canyon. > 18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By > day 4, a suit and some socks have dried. > 19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to > -50 > below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and > fashionable too. > 20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in > the car prevent freezer burn. > 21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet. > 22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the > vehicle. Critical! > 23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe > fire > 24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent > 25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper > 26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the > canyon > 27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first > hour, > as it is often not needed the rest of the day > 28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere! > 29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as > the anticipation > 30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over > their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part. > 31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth > their > weight in gold > 32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side. > 33-Go ahead, eat some more! > 34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of > being only outside. > 35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen > 36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and > stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places. > 37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often > sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in. > 38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring > seasons > 39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer > 40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year. > 41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or > smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around. > 42-When its over, a hot shower, loving wife and 2 pretty cool kids welcome > me > home.
    >
  3. RAM

RAM Guest

The camp is right off the pavement. The way it falls this year with the 1st on a Tuesday, folks are sure to stay until the 3rd (me), with it likely a few will span the gap to the weekend, weather dependent of course. Anyone planning a long post new year stay already? I'm sure some will R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, George Zelenz <beeroux@...> wrote:
    Sounds awesome Ram!
    Can I get to the camp on a road bike? How long after the first will there > be folks hanging around?
    George > On Dec 7, 2012 12:09 PM, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    > **

I looked over the FreezeFest list and it seems to have stood the test of
    time. I have enjoyed the company of a fantastic collection of folks over
    the years. What I like best about it, is one can just show up. Total open
    invitation. There are a lot of folks who are great friends and regular
    partners now, who I met as "drop ins" at FreezeFest. I wonder who that next
    close friend is, as we start into our 2nd decade of..."THE BAD IDEA THAT
    CAUGHT ON"

FreezeFest XI

Lots of folks have come up with their own systems. Anybody wish add ideas
    and systems? Who is planning on making it this year? How many FF's for you?
    Ram

The List
    1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly
    2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and
    doesn't take up much room
    3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm
    4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next
    to
    your sleeping arrangements, works well
    5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Ca't bring too many.
    6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours.
    7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must
    8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab.
    9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM
    10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the
    Michelin
    Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes
    11-Hot breakfasts.
    12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed.
    13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective
    diet.
    14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house,
    before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold
    15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one
    goes on the feet, in the morning
    16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice
    and
    cozy
    17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The
    occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is
    great
    body
    armor in the tight world of many a canyon.
    18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By
    day 4, a suit and some socks have dried.
    19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to
    below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and
    fashionable too.
    20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in
    the car prevent freezer burn.
    21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet.
    22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the
    vehicle. Critical!
    23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe
    fire
    24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent
    25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper
    26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the
    canyon
    27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first
    hour,
    as it is often not needed the rest of the day
    28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere!
    29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as
    the anticipation
    30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over
    their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part.
    31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth
    their
    weight in gold
    32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side.
    33-Go ahead, eat some more!
    34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of
    being only outside.
    35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen
    36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and
    stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places.
    37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often
    sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in.
    38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring
    seasons
    39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer
    40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year.
    41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or
    smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around.
    42-When its over, a hot shower, loving wife and 2 pretty cool kids welcome
    me
    home.

> >
  4. Shaun

Shaun Guest

there is a possibility I may be coming down after new years for the weekend. Prior commitments will cause me to miss this years main event. I may be looking for partners to commute from SLC.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    The camp is right off the pavement. > The way it falls this year with the 1st on a Tuesday, folks are sure to stay until the 3rd (me), with it likely a few will span the gap to the weekend, weather dependent of course. Anyone planning a long post new year stay already? I'm sure some will > R
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, George Zelenz <beeroux@> wrote:

Sounds awesome Ram!

Can I get to the camp on a road bike? How long after the first will there
    be folks hanging around?

George
    On Dec 7, 2012 12:09 PM, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

> **

> I looked over the FreezeFest list and it seems to have stood the test of
    > time. I have enjoyed the company of a fantastic collection of folks over
    > the years. What I like best about it, is one can just show up. Total open
    > invitation. There are a lot of folks who are great friends and regular
    > partners now, who I met as "drop ins" at FreezeFest. I wonder who that next
    > close friend is, as we start into our 2nd decade of..."THE BAD IDEA THAT
    > CAUGHT ON"

FreezeFest XI

Lots of folks have come up with their own systems. Anybody wish add ideas
    > and systems? Who is planning on making it this year? How many FF's for you?
    > Ram

The List
    > 1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly
    > 2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and
    > doesn't take up much room
    > 3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm
    > 4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next
    > to
    > your sleeping arrangements, works well
    > 5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Ca't bring too many.
    > 6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours.
    > 7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must
    > 8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab.
    > 9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM
    > 10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the
    > Michelin
    > Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes
    > 11-Hot breakfasts.
    > 12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed.
    > 13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective
    > diet.
    > 14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house,
    > before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold
    > 15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one
    > goes on the feet, in the morning
    > 16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice
    > and
    > cozy
    > 17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The
    > occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is
    > great
    > body
    > armor in the tight world of many a canyon.
    > 18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By
    > day 4, a suit and some socks have dried.
    > 19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to
    > -50
    > below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and
    > fashionable too.
    > 20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in
    > the car prevent freezer burn.
    > 21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet.
    > 22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the
    > vehicle. Critical!
    > 23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe
    > fire
    > 24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent
    > 25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper
    > 26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the
    > canyon
    > 27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first
    > hour,
    > as it is often not needed the rest of the day
    > 28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere!
    > 29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as
    > the anticipation
    > 30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over
    > their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part.
    > 31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth
    > their
    > weight in gold
    > 32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side.
    > 33-Go ahead, eat some more!
    > 34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of
    > being only outside.
    > 35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen
    > 36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and
    > stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places.
    > 37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often
    > sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in.
    > 38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring
    > seasons
    > 39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer
    > 40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year.
    > 41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or
    > smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around.
    > 42-When its over, a hot shower, loving wife and 2 pretty cool kids welcome
    > me
    > home.

>
    >