Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash FreezeFest VIII - 8 years later

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan Ransom, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

A week has passed since FFXVI wrapped up, which means it's ok for me to hijack the current FreezeFest reports and reshare this trip report from a long time ago, right?

This year's unbelievably warm temperatures and low water got me thinking back on what was the most memorable FreezeFest I've been to - number VIII. I went to look at old photos from my original trip report, and turns out that in the last 8 years, every link is broken and the flickr albums had been deleted. Oops.

So I decided to reprocess a bunch of photos into higher resolution, and upload them to my own site so they could live forever. It was quite an awesome trip down memory lane, I had forgotten just how magical (and scary) some of those canyons were. I also totally forgot we had TWO years in a row of these awesome conditions. In my mind, I only remembered one. But turns out, VIII and IX were both very snowy.

I'm adding a few photos here, if you'd like to see the entire album and read the detailed trip report, it's here - http://www.danransom.com/2010/01/freeze-fest-viii/

[​IMG]
    Mike Macphee in the Monkey B corkscrew

[​IMG]
    Malia in Middle Lep

[​IMG]
    Chris Hood tunneling his way through Middle Lep

[​IMG]
    Rad light in Leprechaun.

[​IMG]
    I think this was in Monkey B? But maybe in Lep.

[​IMG]
    We did a ridiculous exploration of one of the forks of Trail which I think we all knew was barely a slot, but it had snowed so much the night before, we figured just leaving camp was a win.

[​IMG]
    Bruce from Bryce in Maidenwater I think?

[​IMG]
    The weather was epic all week, and the sunrise and sunsets were outrageous.
  2. Ram

Ram

Wonderful pictures. I will add a few

12-27-09 in the Leps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monkey Business 12-28-09
    [​IMG]

We tunneled through
    [​IMG]

12-29-09 Middle Trail
    A nothing slot made engaging by conditions
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12-30-09
    Maidenwater. One of the best FF days ever.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trail 12-31-09
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Hole 1-1-10
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

campfire
    [​IMG]
  3. John Diener

John Diener

After years of following the Canyons Yahoo group I showed up as a rando at FF VII (one of the smarter choices I have made), so FF VIII was my second go.

I came down the afternoon of the 27th, and first thing went up the Cedar Point Rd to check if the Kelsey Exit out of West Butler was a go in the snowy conditions... the scout showed 'yes', barely. Back at the car/road, I ran into people retrieving cars from their Middle Lep outing, and they were pretty enthused about the 'special' conditions.

Unfortunately I took no pics the first 2 operating days. The 28th was memorable - our group went into Shenanigans while another group tackled Monkey Business. Battling through the giant snow drifts in the upper third was exhausting work at times, but thankfully by the 3rd narrows the snow relented - it seems the microclimate of super deep and tight slots does not typically allow snow to accumulate. We popped out the bottom all in good cheer and were very glad to see the MB crew just ahead of us on the Keley exit. The 29th apparently was less interesting as I cannot remember what was done (I know I did not join Ram's Middle Trail group).

The 30th was a light Shamrock day under stormy skies, and for the 31st I joined a Monkey Business group, our way made easier by the passage on the 28th. My FF VIII was capped by the Jan 1 Black Hole, which only happened because Dave Black fixed hundreds of feet of rope to allow us to make the snowy exit.

A few pics:

A (relatively) quiet Sandthrax.

IMGP0138.

Lep

IMGP0153.

In good company for MB with this group.

IMGP0171.
    IMGP0180.

Getting stoked for the Black Hole

IMGP0221.

The exit

IMGP0231.

-john
  4. Ram

Ram

I look at the group you "played" with that week and see how many of those folks you went on to have wonderful adventures and partnerships with....I really didn't realize how many folks that happened to, among the random lurkers who braved coming. Seeing the long roster of such folks, I feel that I have been the one to benefit most. Thanks to all of you, who gave it a whirl and found gold.
    Ram